New to Macs

Reaction score
Wow!!! This is SO different from my EASY pc which was second nature to me. Lots to confuse me that my pc handled instantly. I move across the pad and suddenly the whole screen magnifies. I save a document then when I reopen it, I can't alter/edit it and I have tried today for 3 hours!! I can't view a whole screen, can't view some attachments from hotmail. I was SO looking forward to using this pretty machine, but so far I've learned what it CAN'T do....... Need help, big time. ( not impressed so far with available help from Apple ).

Reaction score
Hey Deltahero! What type of mac is it? Did you get it new? The reason I ask is that your issues don't correspond to the mac being setup for system defaults.

The track pad zooming issue. Click on the apple in the top left of the screen, open system preferences. Select trackpad. This screen will allow you to customize your track pad behaviour.

As for the not being able to edit your files after you save them, that sounds like a permissions issue. Select the file, control click (right click), get info. Or select the file, and hit open apple-->I. At the bottom you will see what permissions you have. To edit them, click the Lock icon, type in your password, and then change the permissions beside your login name to read & write.

View full screen in your browser or video? There is a button the top left or right of a window/browser that is a + sign. Click that to fill the screen with the window. In a video player, this optino is typically under the "view" menu at the top.

You may want to repair your permissions as well. Go to applications-->utilities-->disk utility. Select your main drive, and run the verify disk permissions followed by the repair disk permissions. You could just run repair disk permissions, but I like to be thorough.

What file format are the attachments you are trying to view?

Reaction score
Control Scroll zooms the screen you can disable this in System Preferences.

Just a thought, if you have a drive you were using on your PC it maybe formatted as NTFS. The Mac can read these but not write to them as they are a MS Proprietary format.

Try dragging the file to the desktop before editing and see if that fixes the save problem.

Reaction score
Control Scroll zooms the screen you can disable this in System Preferences.

Just a thought, if you have a drive you were using on your PC it maybe formatted as NTFS. The Mac can read these but not write to them as they are a MS Proprietary format.

Try dragging the file to the desktop before editing and see if that fixes the save problem.

Thank you Kaveman for your informative advice. I have learned something from you.

Ask a Question