New to Macs - aint got a clue what im doing

Reaction score
Hi, have just spent next to no money buying my first mac, I was nervous to spend too much so bought an older iMac G5 20"....I am now completely lost with what to do with it. The spec I can find from my limited knowledge are:
Mac OS: 10.3.9
Processor:1.8ghz power pc G5
Memory: 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

If there's anyway anyone cen help me get started I'd really appreciate it.
There are a few webpages that wont load(facebook for example) and whenever i download software(firefox - flashplayer) nothing will install!
I truly am lost.....If there's anything I can buy as far as additional RAM or software can you point me in the right direction.
cheers Rich

Reaction score
Should have pointed out that my main problem is with the software issues where I can't seem to install or get flash products to load!!!

Reaction score
I also can't seem to be able to download the apps file thing!!!
I honestly thought there'd be a benefit to switching to a mac
but now im having second thoughts.....another question is where
can i download a copy of leopard from, hoping this will solve the
problems im having?
cheers Rich

Reaction score
Why would you think there a benefit to moving to a Mac thats 5 years old and the most problematical iMac ever made. If you paid money for it you got suckered.

You are going to have no end of Software problems because even Apple has declared the PPC dead.

If you are serious about moving to the Mac check out a nice new MacMini.

Reaction score
Don't wish to appear ungrateful mate, but that answer tells me nothing as to where to go with what I have? if this machine is nothing more than a paperweight, then fair enough, but all I really need to know is how to get it in a fit state to use.....? where should I start regarding software updates etc etc, can i slap Leopard over the top of what's in here now???? saying it's a pile of **** doesn't really help...I'm not struck on it so can easily sell it on for what i paid if not more than that, so may even end up going back to a PC unit, just hoped that this would have been the answer to my prayers...

Reaction score
if this machine is nothing more than a paperweight, then fair enough
It is. I thought I made that clear.

Imagine someone coming on saying I have a 486 running Windows 95, and I'm seeing if I like Windows and I'm having troubles, what should I do?

Trying to use a iMac of that ilk will give you no idea what its like to use a Mac, OSX and the hardware has made major advancements since the G5 and even Leopard.

What more can I say, you are wasting your time trying to evaluate iMac with that computer. I recommend the MacMini, they are great for entry level evaluation, they have an excellent resale value so if you decide OSX isn't for you, you'll recover most of your outlay.

Honest, the G5 was a dud, its likely to die if you stress it at all. It was one of the deciding factors for Apple to drop the PPC and go to Intel. It also got caught with those pirate capacitors that resulted in so many computers of all brands failing. Harddrives of that age die, if stressed. You will have problems finding software, maybe you'll find somewhere to download Leopard, but not here. If you use the wrong disks, you'll have more headaches, as it has to be retail version.

I'm sorry but an old G5 iMac is no longer an answer to prayer, it will more likely a nightmare.
I'm trying to be honest, I could just BS you tell you its great and keep on trying, but its not don't waste your time.

It interesting I have working G3, G4, CoreDuo, CoreDuo 2, i3,5,7 iMacs, but the G5s are all dead.

Maybe someone else can give you "better" help.

karazelle

Reaction score
You would be able to run Leopard on it, but you would have to get it on DVD. You cannot download it. Apple won't give you Leopard but Mac shops might, or eBay.

I must admit I don't quite know if you can go directly from 10.3.x to 10.5, but I believe you should be able to. Once in Leopard, you can use Facebook and stuff using the built in browser.

If this is still a relevant topic and you didn't give up, let me know and I'll try to help you further. :)

Reaction score
hello, i am new to mac also and would like a few questions answered, but not by the bully. its all i could afford. i have an ibook g4 power processor 10.58 working, by the way. i need to install a newer version of flash player, the machine has an adobe suite with c4 flash. also the i chat is in start up, from the previous owner who did not delete all files properly thanks in advance

Reaction score
This is a free, manned by volunteers, forum you don't get to choose who will or won't answer your questions.

Reaction score
opening downloads

My cousin who is going off to college gave me her old macbook pro because she was getting a new one, this is my first mac and i am still trying to get used to it. I am trying to download the audacity mod for garage band and when i go to open it a window pops up saying that i cant open the program because my default opener is quick time player. Does anyone know how to change to a new default.

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

What Audacity mod for GarageBand are you referring to? Audacity the audio app itself?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...that's Audacity the app. I had never heard of an Audacity mod for GarageBand.

Try downloading it from here:

Audacity: Mac OS X

When it's complete, try mounting the disk image and installing. If you are still having problems, let us know.

C

Ask a Question