New to Mac

Reaction score
Hello, i have just purchased 2 macbook pro, but as a windows user for many years the mac seems to be a little different, i just need some advice if any one can help, on my other laptop being a ibm with xp it connects to my domain and load network drives, but i need the mac to do the following but can not work out how, im going on a mac course but thats not intill october, so any help would be great

Thanks

Wesley

karazelle

Reaction score
I am a bit uncertain what exactly you want to accomplish with your Mac(s)?

Do you want to network them with the Windows PC, to each other, or connect to a domain controller?

For adjusting workgroup/domain you need to open your harddrive and go to /Applications/Utility/Directory service and configure the SMB/CIFS service by enabling it and adjusting its properties. You should usually not need to enter a value for WINS.
To connect to a PC share, if it doesn't appear by opening a Finder window and clicking on the network in the quick shelf to the left and browsing for it, use the Go menu and choose Connect to Server. Then type smb://servername-or-ip/ or smb://servername/Sharename and fill in details when asking. You can make the Mac store it in your keychain if you like.

A keychain btw is a universal repository of usernames and passwords. To make your Mac "forget" a password you asked it to remember, use the Keychain utility in /Applications/Utility

Hope this helps?

Ask a Question