New macbook m1 max pro video stumps me

Reaction score
i am basically a pc guy but now with the m1 max i think the mac hardware surpasses most of what is available in the pc world. And I am going to give it a try.

basic issue: two monitors nec 242w, which i have used in a dual monitor array with my pcs and with an old 2015 mac book (that still works).

I have connected the new machine (which is magnificent) to the monitors with the usb c cable and a hdmi cable.

both monitors have come alive perfectly. EXCEPT --and unlike my experience with the 2015 mac book-- i can not close the lid on the mac book without two necs turning off. so i have three screens. not bad but not my preference.

ideally i would just have the two monitors with the mac book serving as my cpu unless i am on the road when it would become my dominant machine.

another possiblity is a new monitor with a dedicated usb3 (c) port: my companion just bought a

32UN880-B at my suggestion and she loves it.​

I prefer NEC and Eizo (EV 3285). In this case I would have one monitor with the mac book connected by one usb cable and the pcs by display port and hdmi.

Reactions, please.

i thank you in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try this...navigate to  > System Preferences... > Battery > Power Adapter and check/enable Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off. You will still have to "wake" the MBP when you initially close the lid by pressing a key on the keyboard or moving the mouse.

See if that works for you.

C

Reaction score
will try it tomorrow.
thank you.
i am leaning to get a 32" 4k monitor, probably the eizo.
i've been able run the two displays while macbook is in clamshell mode.
the problem is sleep: when the macbook comes out of sleep it doesn't know where it is.
sometimes the monitors need to be reverse. sometimes into sleep to get the screen right after they come alive but with tint errors or as stated before with lost positioning.

Ask a Question