Full Macbook transfer - Motherboard, CPU, SSD

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum. Searched for my topic and doesn't seem to be a thing. Would love some comments and advice.

I have a 2017 Macbook that it totally maxed out with the specs of the day. 1.4Ghz i7, 16 MB RAM. It still runs great and I love it.

When Apple discontinued the product I bought a new Macbook - didn't want to be without my 1.2 lb mac - its too good for travel (which may come back at some point. The new (old stock) Macbook is lighter in capability - 1.3Ghz and 8 MB RAM. I've barely used it since I got it a few years ago - probably only has 20-30 hours on it (vs 5000-6000 on the old one).

My old macbook has started to have a glitchy keyboard, and battery life is waning. Screen sometimes flickers and has key marks and some mild scratches.

I'm thinking of a full transplant. Use the new chassis, screen, keyboard, battery, along with the old motherboard, SSD and memory.

I've taken apart older mac laptops many times an I know this won't be easy. But it seems like it might be worthwhile.

Would love to hear from anyone that has tackled this project before, or tips from those who have done portions of it. And anyone who thinks its a great or stupid idea.

Thanks

Reaction score
It's risky to do so, more important you have to see the components are compatible with the old one.
:rolleyes:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I strongly advise against attempting this, as it officially/technically is not possible. The layout/requirements of the boards/components are different, as well as the connectors. You would probably end up with a non-working Mac, and may actually damage things which could prevent them from working if you returned them to their original Macs.

Sorry,

C

Ask a Question