Heat Maximum for 2021 Macbook Pro Mx1 Max 16 inch

Reaction score
I just bought the new 2021 Macbook Pro 16 inch with the M1 Max chip. Yesterday, I opened Lightroom Classic and started a new catalog where I imported close to 25,000 images from an external hard drive and then Lightroom began building standard previews for these images to display in Lightroom Classic. The import actually didn't take long but the building of the standard previews took 2-3 hours and evidently was quite intensive because I started to notice that the machine felt a bit warm and the Samsung T7 Portable SSD was quite hot (though not so hot I couldn't hold it). I downloaded the TG Pro app and ran it and it showed peak temperatures in the CPU cores of 211 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it color-coded this as being yellow or medium, not too hot or in danger (red). All the rest of the components registered green. The fans were on but never went higher than about 2800 rpms (according to the app) and when they reached that level the temps went down significantly. But mostly the machine kept the fans maybe around 2000 rpms. So, I'm just worried about what is considered a high temperature on this machine if 211 degrees Fahrenheit is just medium? I'm also a little shocked because I've watched tons of videos where people are stress testing this machine by having 20 or 30 Chrome and Safari browsers open at the same time, doing high level video rendering in Final Cut Pro, exporting huge files out of Lightroom, running Photoshop, and a host of other programs at the same time and never had any issues. Now granted, I don't remember any of them ever monitoring or reporting on the heat of the components, only how quiet the fans were. So, is what I experienced normal given that I only had Lightroom open and a Safari browser and that's it? I called Apple Support and the guy I talked to was super nice but knew absolutely nothing about technical aspects of the machine so he couldn't answer my question and couldn't find an answer from anyone else either after putting me on hold. What do ya'll think?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't believe Apple publishes any technical data like temperature maximums. I would think that is normal operating range, especially since the cooling fans never really kicked in at all. Apple has state-of-the-art cooling in their Macs, and the fans will definitely ramp up if anything is out of the ordinary. In addition, Macs are designed to simply power off if the cooling system cannot maintain the temperatures of components to prevent any form of damage to the chips/circuitry.

I have an M1 Mac mini, and just for kicks, I ran Tunabelly's new application CPU Stress Test at 8 cores and 64 threads (maxed) for 5 mins. Temp readings of the various components registered in the 85-180º F range, CPU average temp showed at 160º F and the bars were still only a little over one half to two thirds of the range in TG Pro and still green. The fan never went above 1800 rpm, of which the minimum is 1700 rpm. As soon as I stopped the test, the temps dropped back to normally range within 15 secs or so.

I have done some pretty heavy Logic Pro sessions, and the CPU cores/threads are pretty high, but the fan never comes on and I haven't had any issues. Because the M1 Max has more cores/threads, it will probably generate more heat and have higher readings that are still within spec.

Honestly, I think it sounds normal and you shouldn't damage anything or have any issues.

Hope that helps!

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't believe Apple publishes any technical data like temperature maximums. I would think that is normal operating range, especially since the cooling fans never really kicked in at all. Apple has state-of-the-art cooling in their Macs, and the fans will definitely ramp up if anything is out of the ordinary. In addition, Macs are designed to simply power off if the cooling system cannot maintain the temperatures of components to prevent any form of damage to the chips/circuitry.

I have an M1 Mac mini, and just for kicks, I ran Tunabelly's new application CPU Stress Test at 8 cores and 64 threads (maxed) for 5 mins. Temp readings of the various components registered in the 85-180º F range, CPU average temp showed at 160º F and the bars were still only a little over one half to two thirds of the range in TG Pro and still green. The fan never went above 1800 rpm, of which the minimum is 1700 rpm. As soon as I stopped the test, the temps dropped back to normally range within 15 secs or so.

I have done some pretty heavy Logic Pro sessions, and the CPU cores/threads are pretty high, but the fan never comes on and I haven't had any issues. Because the M1 Max has more cores/threads, it will probably generate more heat and have higher readings that are still within spec.

Honestly, I think it sounds normal and you shouldn't damage anything or have any issues.

Hope that helps!

C
Thanks, that is helpful!

Ask a Question