Overheating iMac

Reaction score
iMac is running too hot to place hand on top left. Fans are making very little sound. Should I have it serviced?

Attachments

• Computer Temp.pdf
    121.4 KB · Views: 326

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Actually, those figures don't look out of spec for an iMac. The fans will ramp up to protect the components if the internal temperature gets too high. If it can't cool it down to a safe temperature, the iMac will power itself off for protection.

-Which exact model of iMac is it?
-Which version of OS X?
-What is the ambient temperature in the room it is in?
-Are you running multiple CPU-intensive apps, gaming, or streaming video?

C

Reaction score
-iMac 27" Late 2009 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5
-OS X 10.10.4
-80's F
-Yes, Protein Folding at half speed (Loading 200 out of 400)
That Ap I bought seems to show that the fans are barely running, if I read it right. But I can't leave my hand on the LH upper corner.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That temp sounds about right due to the F@h and the room temperature. The upper left hand corner (looking at the iMac from the front) is where the power supply is. It is normal for it to get very warm/hot in that part of the enclosure, especially on the top and rear.. The fans are located at different parts of the iMac - mainly where the CPU, hard drive, and graphics card are. The power supply heat vents out the horizontal slot across the back, along with the exhaust from the fans.

I would guess that if the temp of the room dropped by 5-10º and you paused the folding overnight, it would probably be cooler to the touch. I can verify that it is still within the normal range and spec and should do no harm. The fans will kick up if they are needed.

If you had Temperature Gauge Pro, you could manually adjust the fan speeds to a higher RPM to cool it down...at the expense of noise.

C

Ask a Question