MacBook Pro overheating all the time

Reaction score
Hello fellow Mac lovers!

I bought a MacBook Pro 15" retina ultimo 2013 a while ago, and I quickly learned that I couldn't play silly internet games on it, or else it would overheat to a point where I didn't even want to touch it. I didn't think about it much, since it was only meant for school purposes anyway. Also I couldn't watch videos lasting more than 7 minutes. Once I tried to watch an episode of a show I like, and by the time I reached 23 minutes, I had already had to give it 3 breaks of 10 minutes.

Nevertheless, it has become a problem for me now, seeing as it overheats when on a plain surface (a table) when I use the newest version of Microsoft Word for Mac. It is quite annoying because in exam situations I am forced to let it cool for about 20 minutes, and if I don't then it will start working slower and ultimately just freeze.

A weird thing is that when it overheats while updating you can hear the fans turning on and cooling it down, but they never turn on when it is overheating because of something I am using it for.

If someone could please help me? I have no tech knowledge besides making a fancy powerpoint :p - what can I do about it? Are there some settings for the fans or thermal control? Do I need to install 3rd-party software? Is it normal that it overheats this often?

If you need any further information to help me, please let me know! :D I really hope someone can help me, since my local Humac store just says "it's fine" and moves on to the next customer.

Some basic info:

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
OS X El Capitan

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The MBP's aluminum case will get very hot when gaming or performing other taxing processes. The aluminum works in conjunction with the cooling fans to prevent heat-related damage to the Mac. Normally, if the internal temperature reaches a dangerous level, the MBP will simply shut down in protection mode, if the fans cannot cool it properly.

I have heard reports of freezing due to temperature, which is not normal. Since you local shop doesn't seem to think yours is an issue, you could try an actual Apple Store if you have one nearby. You could also try some third-party software to increase the cooling fan response to see if that helps:

Macs Fan Control
smcFanControl
TG Pro

Personally, I prefer TG Pro, but have use all three apps.

Hope that helps a little,

C

Reaction score
I recently had an overheating problem too. It turns out that my battery expanded from leaving the computer plugged in after it had fully charged. It's worth a look.....

Ask a Question