Imac from 2011 - overheating

Reaction score
Hi
I'm having the following problem with my imac - recently I had to update the operating system, due to the fact that if it did not, it would not be possible to work with recent versions of the softwares from the Adobe's creative cloud. However, the equipment is overheating, so i can only work with it with a fan pointed directly at the machine. It warms to the point of burning my hand if I touch its metal surface. I am aware that there is a possibility to change the speed of the internal coolers, but the application of the system that allows this not only does not show the temperature of the computer as it does not allow to change the speed of the coolers. I wonder if it will be necessary to open the machine and replace the coolers, clean the air intakes or return to a previous version of the operating system, a less recent, which does not hit the processor so much.

Info:
macOS sierra - 10.12.3
imac (27-inch, mid 2011)
Intel core i7 3,4 GHz
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Reaction score
A couple of things might help:

1. Yes, clean the air intakes/vents, and as much dust as you can inside the machine.

2. There is a much newer version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6. You can get the Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_US

3. You might want to take a look at the Activity Monitor, which is located inside the Utilities folder installed by the Mac OS. You can possibly see if there are any processes/applications that are consuming a lot of resources, and thus could possibly cause over heating.

4. So, from what you are saying, with the prior OS you were using (what was that, by the way?), there was no over heating. Prior to upgrading, did you insure that for all your third party apps were either compatible with Sierra, or needed to be upgraded?

Ask a Question