2011 Imac running hotter than usual.

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice on what to do with my imac. It is a mid 2011 model.

When I first started using it, I averaged temperatures around 40c all the time. A hard day's usage might have been 45c. Over the past two years though, the temperature has been steadily climbing. 50c became the new 40c, and these past few weeks I've been hitting 62c regularly.

Now, I know those temperatures in themselves aren't an issue. But my fans started becoming louder than usual, particularly the CPU fan which likes to jump to 3200-3500 RPM when working.

I downloaded a more indepth temperature gauge [previously I had just been using smcFanControl.] While running this, I see that my GPU diode and heatsink like to run at 75-85c while playing warcraft or streaming videos.

Because I haven't been monitoring the GPU temperatures, I'm not really sure if these are concerning, or if my computer is just aging and this is sort of inevitable. I have not seen any graphical artifacts or anything to suggest the video card may be dying. [yet.]

Everything does cool down to around 50c when not using the GPU.

Here is some information about my imac:

• Imac, 27inch. Mid 2011
  • Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
  • Running on OS X Yosemite [10.10.5]
I have reset PRAM and SMC. I also gave it as good a cleaning as I can without cracking it open.

-----------

Additionally, I want to append another minor issue just in case it is related. My computer has had a hard time staying asleep lately.

The first sleep after a full shutdown will usually work as it should, but any following will either wake up immediately, or after an hour or two.

This is the message it displays when I went into command to find out why.

------------

Basically, I just need some advice.

Is it time to take it into the shop? Is there something I can do to help improve the temperatures? Or is this just age, and not likely to improve? What are the danger signs if I continue on like this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The temps could slightly increase over time in an iMac, simply due to the build up of dust inside the cabinet, which could hamper the cooling system. In addition, as the ambient temperature in the room increases, especially in the summer months, the fans/cooling system have to work harder.

Any prolonged use of video streaming and intensive gaming will surely cause the internal temps to rise and the fans to spin up to higher RPMs. This is completely normal.

The sleep issue could be several things. You could try a few things:

-Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
-How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac
-Repair disk permissions with Disk Utility
-If your Mac doesn‘t sleep or wake when expected

Let us know if any of those help,

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply!

I am not too sure about the ambient temperature. I usually notice it running slightly hotter during the summer, but we're in a very air-conditioned environment. The temperature might change a few degrees, but really not by too much.

The CPU fans kick in at 3800 RPM and I get temperatures of 80C on the GPU maybe twenty-thirty minutes into starting up a game. I tested this morning after an overnight shutdown, so it definitely seems to be heating up very quickly. At least quicker than it has been in the past month or two.

Would you say the computer is in danger regularly running at an 85C GPU? Should it be taken somewhere where it can get a better cleaning than I can provide?

For the sleep issue, I've tried most on that list except repairing the disk permissions! I'll give that a shot. If that does not work I'll see if another user account might give me a better idea of what the trouble is. Thank you very much!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I believe the GPU upper temperature limit on most Macs is over 100°C, so yours sounds normal running at under 90°C during gaming. The iMac will actually power off if the temperature exceeds the limit to protect itself.

Like I previously stated, the average temps could rise over time slightly, as well as seasonally. Humidity can also affect the temperature threshold You could take it to an Apple Store to have it fully tested and they may be able to blow the dust out of the internal case for you. Not sure if they would charge for that however, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

You can power off the iMac, gently lay it on the display glass on a flat-surface (with a towel for scratch protection), and use compressed air to blow out the perforated vent holes along the bottom-side of the case. Of course, be sure not to tip the can and have to propellant spray out into the vents.

I don't think your iMac is in any danger with those temps.

Definitely let us know how it goes with the sleep issue, and we can make additional suggestions if need be.

C

Ask a Question