New iBook fails twice in a few months

Reaction score
Do I understand this issue correctly. The original hard drive failed, and a replacement put in by some repair tech failed. How do you know he put a new hard drive in. Perhaps it was a used drive. Nothing unusual about failing hard drives. You might try again. Buy a new one yourself and install it. Can you fry an egg? You can install a hard drive. I have never heard of a working laptop frying harddrives.

Ric

Reaction score
Do I understand this issue correctly. The original hard drive failed, and a replacement put in by some repair tech failed...

Yes and no, the Mac was new and was repaired via AppleCare.

The Apple Tech would have nothing to gain by not replacing the drive, nearly all drives come with at least a five year manufacturers warrenty, so they would have just sent it away for a replacement anyway.

A dodgy PSU could easily fry a couple of drives...and more !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Do I understand this issue correctly.

Not 100% :)

It's not my laptop, I was asking on behalf of a friend and I'm certainly not going to open up her in warranty laptop and change bits myself

I think the score was 2 hard drives and a logic board.

She recently told me that she's been ripping several DVD for her upcoming family holiday so I guess everything is running OK now

Regards

Mike

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I'm glad it sounds like she's getting some use out of it now !

(touch wood !)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question