New hard drive shows zero capacity

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade the hard drive in my G4 powerbook to a 120GB western digital WD1200VE drive. When I open disk utility, it shows the hard drive but says that it has zero kB capacity, so it doesn't allow me to format. This is with a 10.4 install disk. I tried the version that came with the machine (10.2), and the drive didn't even show up as before. Any ideas before I ship it back?

Thanks.

Reaction score
what powerbook is it exactly ?
soem older powerbooks have a high capacity hd cap and are incompatible with faster eide protocols its possible your powerbook just doesnt reconigse the hd

Reaction score
It could be that it is too old. It is a 667 MHz G4. The OEM hard drive is 30GB Ultra ATA/66. The one I bought is Ultra ATA/100, which is backwards compatible with 66. I checked out macsales.com and they list the hard drive I bought as being compatible with my generation laptop as well, so I don't know. I might try exchanging it for a smaller one.

Reaction score
the only thing i can think off is that your eide controller doesn tknow what to do with this hd it knows its and hd but just doenst recongise it further

you dont happen to have an external hd do you ?

Ask a Question