networking

Reaction score
Im trying to share files between a PC and a mac.. My PC has the internet connection with a wireless router. I went through all the setting up of filesharing and all the nonsense. But I cant access my PC from my mac. I can only get my Mac files from my PC. When I go to finder, connect to server, i have everything right and it recognizes my PC, and it asks for a password. And every password i enter the computer says is wrong. So can some1 help me with what password i need to put there in order for me to connect to my PC

Reaction score
What Windows version is the PC running? Does the user account on the PC have a password specified?
The username and password you should specify are those of the PC user, and if I remember correctly it doesn't work with a blank password.

Reaction score
It runs windows xp... and at first it didnt have a password... but i made one for the PC and tried connecting and it still didnt work... also when i go to connect it automatically fills in my work group.. and the username.... so im not sure what is up... or what should put in becuase i feel like i ahve tried all possibilites with what to enter into the fields

Reaction score
Is the Windows firewall active?
Go to the control panel, then to Windows firewall (if the control panel is set up to classic view) or to Network and Internet Connections then Windows Firewall (if it's set up to category view).
If the firewall is on, try turning it off (even if file and printer sharing is in the exceptions list). Also double-check that you typed in exactly the same username, password, and workgroup in the "Connect to Server..." dialog as is set up in Windows (not trying to dumb you down, just making sure), and just to remove one other possibility of strangeness, change all those values to just include English letters an digits.

Also, is it running XP Professional or Home Edition? (the network settings and permissions differ between them, so I'm less able to help further with Home as I'm not running that version).

Reaction score
I have found that it makes life easier if you have the same account name and password on both systems. I think the Apple tries to connect using the account name that is on the Mac. However, you should be able to change name and password. Windows is picky when it comes to network shares. Are you using smb? I would agree you might have a firewall issue.

Reaction score
I found it was easier not to have a password for the windows machine. At first it tells you it can't connect but then it always does.

Do you have an administrator password for XP (not username password), because I am sure this is the password you need to type in.

If you have no administrator password, then leave the password field blank and for the user name type in administrator.

Failing that, does the account you are trying to connect to on XP have admin privilidges?

Have you checked your firewall on BOTH machines? The Mac OSX firewall also needs to be checked.

Reaction score
well the firewall on my windows xp home edition is turned off... But i do have norton internet security on that machine.. I tried taking the password off of my windows machine.. and putting nothing into the server connect on mac and it still didnt work... also how do i know if i have an administrator password.. and how do i check the firewall settings on my mac?

Reaction score
Norton IS may interfere with filesharing if I remember correctly, try turning it off as well (exactly how you do that, though, I have no idea).

To check the firewall on the Macintosh you open the system preferences in the apple menu, then click on Sharing, and then Firewall (in OS X 10.4 at least, I don't remember how it looked earlier).

Reaction score
There has to be something wrong... I disabled Norton Internet Security and am still getting that my user name or password is incorrect...

Ask a Question