printer networking

Reaction score
Are main computer that is linked to the modem and wireless router is a PC. We have an HP photosmart 2400 printer connected to it. I have a new MacBookPro lap top that I connect wirelessly to the net. My son was able to go into the control panel and enable sharing from the printer and his computer in a different room works on it. My Mac on the other hand doesn't and we are not sure why. I have accessed the printer/scan section and it recognizes the name of the printer. There is a line below asking for location and we have no idea what goes there. We did put the password (or whatever that is) to our new wireless router. It also says something about drivers and gives me two choices for printers both generic something or other. There is a bother link to a listing of printers but mine wasn't one of them. I tried to print something and it came up but then it keeps pausing the print and not going through. What do I need to do? Thanks and hope this made sense, Carol

Reaction score
PC's don't share their printer with Macs. You need a network printer for both OS to use the same printer.

Reaction score
Are you serious? You're the first person to tell me that. Even my computer literate friend who know owns a mac (and works for a computer company) didn't tell me that. Oh Well. I did manage to connect directly and download and install the current software and driver for my printer. So now my printer is installed on my laptop. The only thing is I have to go back there and hook directly to the printer. Not the end of the world and I will quit trying the other way. Thanks, Carol

Reaction score
If you get to work let us know as we've had a few people try this and no-one has got it to work.

This is a Mac printing to a Printer that is being shared from a PC.

Mac to Mac no problem, Macs will also share DVD Drive, Scanner, and Internet.

Reaction score
I will tell you I found some serious how to's on line that claim you can print from your Mac to a PC printer through the net work. When I found that last night it was to many steps for me to do and I don't want to mess up my being able to connect to the internet which I am doing through the same network. I might try it down the road and saved the page to my bookmarks back here on the PC. Right now I can print by connecting direct to the printer so I really don't want to screw it up. LOL The printer problem aside I am absolutely loving my MacbookPro even though there's a lot to learn and I've barely scratched the surface. I have Mac for Dummies coming. We'll see if it helps. :)

karazelle

Reaction score
The location field for printer is where you can write a text yourself stating where the printer is. It is used in businesses with many printers, so it could say "2nd floor" or "Printer room #9". Leave it empty.

It should be possible to print from Mac to PC but its a lot of work and I have not bothered yet.

Apples wireless routers allows you to connect a printer to it using USB and connect wirelessly to it using PC and Mac. I personally use a network printer/scanner from HP.

Ask a Question