Networking Question

Reaction score
We currently have, two Macbooks and one Macbook Pro (all as far as I know patched up to the latest version of Leopard), with everyone in the office working on images and video. At present we're using a BT Home Hub and all Macs use wireless.

What I would like to do is connect a large Tb sized hard disk for storing archives on and make it accessible to all on the network.

Can anyone suggest how I could do this and what hardware I should go for. At present expanding the business, so as long as it's not too hideous we should be able to go for it.

Had a look and couldn't find an answer to this, but if one already exists on here, sorry!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

The neatest way is to turn off the wireless network on the BT home hub, then connect it via ethernet to a 1TB Apple Time Capsule then use that to supply the wireless network.

Then you can use Time Machine in Leopard to automatically back up all the Macs, and add extra drives to it when needed.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Unfortunately all three of us work in separate rooms and tend to wander all over, so being tethered to ethernet may not be the best choice.
I've just been informed that we have access to an Airport Extreme Base Station (nice to know after I've asked a question on here).
Would said base station allow network access to an ethernet drive?

Looked at Time Machine it's not really what we're looking for, the HD will be used only as an on-site archive of past and present work (one of three archives).

Apologies if the above makes little sense... long day!

Reaction score
Hi,
If you're wireless router has spare LAN connections you could just attach a network hard drive. (NAS)
Like this one - IOMEGA

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I think you have slightly misunderstood my answer... the TimeCapsule would supply a wireless network which you would all hook up to, so no one would be tethered.

As tildo says if you have a spare lan socket on your router you can attach a NAS drive that would then be available over the network.

The home hub has an ethernet socket, but I haven't got one handy to check it for you.

The Airport Extreme base station will allow you to share a drive.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi both,

Thanks for the answers! Almost sorted now, our airport extreme is currently off site and not in use yet.

Looks as if we'll connect it via ethernet to the new HD. As ever mac-help to the rescue!

Cheers guys!!

Ask a Question