Networking MacPro to Windows

Reaction score
I am trying to network a MacPro (10.5.5) to Windows machine (XP Home) via a Ethernet cable. I have the tried different settins in System Preferences > Security, Network & Sharing, but to no sucess.

The windows machine shows a LAN status of "Limited or no connectivity". When I try to "repair" the connection, it says that "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address". All of the drives have been shared.

The MacPro shows in System Preferences > Network that the Ethernet 2 has a "Self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect". The Status shows "connected". When I select Go > Connect to server and input smb://IPaddress/computer name (the IP address showing under the Networks details on the windows machine), I get "Connection Failed - The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again".

I am at a loss and am sure it is something simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ask a Question