network to win PC?

Reaction score
Can someone help me set up a network between my PC and my MacBook? I believe that the PC is set up correctly, I have two files designated for sharing and editing on the PC but they are not displayed on the Mac. I expect to see my shared files after selecting: Network, My Network but they do not appear.
Novanew

Reaction score
Can someone help me set up a network between my PC and my MacBook? I believe that the PC is set up correctly, I have two files designated for sharing and editing on the PC but they are not displayed on the Mac. I expect to see my shared files after selecting: Network, My Network but they do not appear.
Novanew

To troubleshoot this from your PC end of things, go to:

Start -> My Network Places (If it's not listed then see below for instructions how to add it to your Start menu) -> In the left pane under 'Network Tasks' click on 'View Workgroup Computers'.

You should now see two icons - your MacBook and PC. If the MacBook doesn't show up click on 'Microsoft Windows Network' in 'Other Places' in the bottom Left pane.

Now you should see an icon of 3 computers linked up. Double-click on that then you should see your PC and MacBooks icons.

Double-click on your MacBook and there should be a "Connect To..." dialogue box where you can enter your MacBooks UserName and password then once you click on "OK" you should then see your MacBooks share.

Here are a few links which have been invaluable to my successfully networking my iMac/PC:

Connecting to Windows XP from a Mac

Connecting to Windows computers and servers from your Mac

Networking with a Windows PC

Sharing Files Between Windows XP and Mac OS X

Sharing files between a Windows XP PC and a Mac running OS 10.4.x

Reaction score
Thank-you Stanley Beamish.
I do have My Network Places in the left pane of my Start Menu. But I do not see Network Tasks here.
The OS on my PC is XP and to set up my network in the beginning I: On the PC, from the C drive, made a new folder, (New Downloads) Right Clicked on this folder, selected Sharing and Security, Network Sharing, Selected Share Folder on Network, Allow network users to Change my files, Apply and OK. On The Mac: Finder, Network, Click My Network, Double Click My computer, then OK ...... I have a couple of steps after that but this is where I am stuck as My Computer does not appear. I completed this set-up a few weeks ago and did transfer files once. Now I am trying to do it again but the connection seems to have disappeared.
I am trying to follow your kind instructions but cannot proceed as I cannot locate Network Tasks, I tried searching for network tasks...... but I get links to my internet connections etc., not what I am looking for. I will follow up with the links you sent me and see if I can solve this. Thank-you

Reaction score
I wrote too soon.....I Found the three linked computers icon under Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, clicked on Workgroup and see one computer only.....

Reaction score
I did get my network connected, from the Mac, not the PC but no matter, I can transfer the files I needed. Thanks again

Reaction score
Here's a good tip novanew, when you have your PC's share mounted on your MacBooks desktop, go to:

MacintoshHD -> System Pref -> Users ->YourUserAccount.

Highlight your account in the left pane and click the padlock if it's locked .... you'll need to enter the admin name and password. Then click on your Login Items to open that window. Next go to your desktop and drag the pc share icon into the Login Items window. Now, whenever you log into your MacBook and the PC is on ... the share will automatically mount.

Another tip if you ever delete the entry in :

Finder -> Go ->Connect To Server .... if the Server Address has been accidentally deleted try this:

To the right of the server address text box there are 2 icons. Click on the 2nd icon that has the clock. A drop-down menu will open showing recent servers you had previously connected to. If you're lucky the server address will be there.

This has helped me out before.

Ask a Question