network setup query

Reaction score
I have a MACBook Pro still running OS 10.8.5 since Mavericks is reported to have problems with WD drives. I have 3 external USB hard drives (2 are WD) to store photos and music and 1 USB Seagate 3Tb drive for Time Machine backup - all functioning happily while directly connected to the MAC via a powered USB hub, plus I have a WD TV Live Hub Media Centre with an integral 1TB drive connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. This does not have Wi-Fi.
My ADSL router is a TP-Link ethernet only model TD-W895 supplied and setup by my ADSL supplier plus a TP-Link range extender ethernet only model TL-WA730RE purchased from my ADSL supplier.
The TV Media Centre is ethernet only and connects to a Devolo DLan device which transmits the signal from my router using an ethernet connection, then via the household electrical mains supply and on to the TV by HMDI cable.
As you can see, ignorance has cost me money over the years.
I now have 2 problems:
1) the Media Centre is on its last legs and sometimes comes on without sound and sometimes in weird colours. So far these problems have been correctable by unplugging and reconnecting the box but that is unlilkey to last for ever so it needs replacing but appears to be out of production with units on Amazon at an enormous £540.
2) My other drives connect to the computer via a USB cable from the hub and when I move my laptop I need to eject them individually and unplug the cable. The USB socket in my laptop shows signs of wobble and I would like to access them by Wi-Fi instead.

How best to connect my USB drives to the ethernet only router and make their contents available by Wi-Fi?
Should I replace the TV centre with a WD (or similar) TV centre without its own data storage at about £85 plus another hard drive if I can connect it to the router and presumably send video etc to the TV centre via Wi-Fi?

Boy do I need technical advice.

Reaction score
I use
Internet > TimeCapsule - WiFi
WiFi > MacMini > Thunderbolt Drives

WiFi > AppleTV > HDMI TV
Very Simple, Fast and robust, I also have the MacMini > Directly to second HDMI TV so I can use it as a monitor for general maintenance.

Reaction score
I use
Internet > TimeCapsule - WiFi
WiFi > MacMini > Thunderbolt Drives

WiFi > AppleTV > HDMI TV
Very Simple, Fast and robust, I also have the MacMini > Directly to second HDMI TV so I can use it as a monitor for general maintenance.
Thanks Kaveman

Ask a Question