Network connection problem

Reaction score
I have an iMac running macOS Sierra 10.12.6.
The problem is that I frequently have to connect to my WiFi manually although it does connect automatically sometimes too. I have tried changing the network preferences but still have this problem.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
David

Reaction score
Do you have an "in house" network? And if so, who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)? Maybe try working with them for some assistance. My ISP is Comcast, and I have two Macs which I am also using OS 10.12.6 (the latest version of Sierra). One of my Macs (the late 2012 Mac Mini) is connected to my Netgear Router, which is then connected to my Arris Telephony modem (thus I have a "hard wired" connection). For my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, I connect, via WiFi, to my home network. There are times where my internet connection "goes south", so to speak, and the solution is to disconnect the router and the modem, wait about 30 seconds, plug each of them back in (the modem first, then the router), wait a minute or so for all the applicable lights on the modem to go on, then start up my Mac Mini. That typically (in about 99.5% of the time) gets me back up. The order of which device to turn back on, along with how long to wait before plugging them back in, depends upon the ISP.

Reaction score
It is best to make sure you follow the instructions of your ISP as to how long to keep it off for, and then how long to wait to use your Mac after you plug the modem back in.

Ask a Question