Need hub that works with M1 chip

Reaction score
My new 24 inch desktop with M1 chip will not work with my old external devices that have USB plugs, printer, etc. The Hub I bought is not compatible with the M1 chip according to Apple. Error message said "needs power."Returned it and got a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter. It worked yesterday in each device but not today. It also involves plugging and unplugging each device.
Is there a powered HUB I can buy that will work with the M1 chip and my old external devices?

Reaction score
My new 24 inch desktop with M1 chip will not work with my old external devices that have USB plugs, printer, etc. The Hub I bought is not compatible with the M1 chip according to Apple. Error message said "needs power."Returned it and got a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter. It worked yesterday in each device but not today. It also involves plugging and unplugging each device.
Is there a powered HUB I can buy that will work with the M1 chip and my old external devices?
Your iMac21,2 has two Thunderbolt 3 connectors. I would recommend the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub,

which is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3/USB-4 and uses one of your Thunderbolt connectors for three Thunderbolt 4/3, and four USB 3.2 Gen2 connectors. It is a powered hub. That’s what I’m using with my Studio and am perfectly happy with it. It currently drives one of my 32" LG monitors, as well as two drive enclosures each with four SSDs and four hard drives. Of course, the external drives are independently powered, not by my CalDigit hub.

Reaction score
Your iMac21,2 has two Thunderbolt 3 connectors. I would recommend the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub,

which is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3/USB-4 and uses one of your Thunderbolt connectors for three Thunderbolt 4/3, and four USB 3.2 Gen2 connectors. It is a powered hub. That’s what I’m using with my Studio and am perfectly happy with it. It currently drives one of my 32" LG monitors, as well as two drive enclosures each with four SSDs and four hard drives. Of course, the external drives are independently powered, not by my CalDigit hub.
Thanks Tony but after spending on the iMac I think that unit is out of my price range.

Ask a Question