Need help with my MacBook Pro please!

Reaction score
Hi. I don't really know where the right place is to ask this question. My macbook pro keeps powering my M-audio Firewire Solo, even though it is turned off. This is what I learned at support.apple.com:

"Many Apple computers provide power over their FireWire ports even if the computer is off or asleep. This is normal and expected. This feature enables:
  • FireWire-based iPods to continue to charge even if the computer is asleep or off
  • FireWire bus-powered drives to be used as Startup Volumes
  • Additional features that may require power when the computer is plugged in but not turned on
Note: With notebook computers, power is only provided over FireWire if the computer is connected to AC power. If the computer is running off battery power, it conserves power by disabling this feature."

My macbook pro isn't connected to AC power and has been running off battery power for a couple of hours, and the blue led on my FW Solo is STILL on. I don't dare to unplug it, as it is not recommended if both devices are not off.:( Is there anything I can change in the settings to make the computer stop providing power when it's turned off?

I really don't know too much about this kind of stuff, I hope somebody can help me. Thanks, Chris

Reaction score
No, Apple is say FireWire provides power to the port all the time.

Is there an Off switch on the FW Solo, if there is, then turn it off and unplug it. If there isn't then "How do you turn it off?" you unplug it.

FireWire is hot swappable, that means you should be able to add and remove devices without shutting them down.

Reaction score
Well, M-audio specifically warns never to hot plug the cable, cause it can fry the firewire port on the computer or/and the interface. It says only to connect the firewire cable with both computer and interface powered off.

The thing is, I have been using it for 3 years and I never had this problem before. The FW Solo ALWAYS turned off by itself when I turned off the computer and unplugged it from the wall.

This has only changed now after i reformatted the MBP. And from what i read above, laptops are not supposed to power ANYTHING while they are off and are running only off the battery.

So why has this changed? I can not use my FW Solo anymore without either hotplugging it constantly, or leaving it on 24/7.

Reaction score
There was a problem early on with FireWire 400 ports shorting but Apple solved that years ago.

The shorting problem was more likely to happen when plugging in, if you quickly pull the cable straight out it should be fine.

When plugging it in do the Mac plug last, get it lined up and again quickly and firmly insert the plug.

To my knowledge there is no way to change this behaviour, leave it plugged in, or not that is your call.

Reaction score
I'm just wondering why it has suddenly changed? I've been using it for years and the firewire port ALWAYS turned off when I unplugged the computer. Now it just stays on and it doesn't make any sense. I've been searching the internet for hours and I couldn't find anything remotely similar to my problem. Guess it's back to the apple store to pay another couple of hundred euros...

Reaction score
I'm sorry but nothing changed, the Apple FireWire port has been live for many years, since the iPod. People were complaining their iPods didn't charge when their Macs where sleeping or turned off, so Apple changed it so the port stayed live.

It is a standard test Apple recommends to the service depts to check the power supply, to plug in an iPod to ensure power is getting through.

The early G3 and G4 FireWire ports did short out but Apple placed 3 self resetting fuses into the port to fix this. It is a very old problem that has been solved for many many years.

I can't see how taking this back to Apple will fix it, but again that's your call...

Reaction score
I just would like to get it back the way it was 3 days ago and for the last 3 years, when the firewire port DID NOT stay powered constantly. So something did change.

Also it says on the apple support site: "With notebook computers, power is only provided over FireWire if the computer is connected to AC power. If the computer is running off battery power, it conserves power by disabling this feature"

Obviously my computer is not "disabling this feature" anymore, although it used to do this until 3 days ago.

Ask a Question