Bad Blocks MacBook Pro 2012 -Need help recovering documents

Reaction score
Hi I joined this forum specifically for help in regards to my macbook. About a month ago i noticed that the ports stopped working, but I'm so busy with college that I chose to ignore it as the rest of my system was working fine. Then two days ago my computer wouldn't start and I had a white screen. I did a system check and I had a ton of bad blocks. I took it to tech spot at my university, and they said I definitely have a bad hard drive and possibly a bad mother board. I have never dropped my macbook even once and I have no idea how I could have damaged it so badly. I should also mention that I don't have a warranty so apple isn't going to help me much (they gave me an estimate of $500). Is there any possible way that I can recover my documents? I know that my macbook is pretty much hopeless at this point, but it would save me a lot of grief if my documents could somehow be retrieved.

Reaction score
I had a ton of bad blocks
are your documents worth $500? A bad block is where the HD no longer has your data, many files will be fine but its very hit and miss. If you don't know how to get them then you are best to pay the money and hope the professionals are able to recover some.

Always have a backup.

Ask a Question