Need Help with Mac Storage Cleanup

Reaction score
So, I am trying to free up some space on my Macbook. I have downloaded a cleaner app to get rid of temporary files, browser caches, and all that junk, I've moved all my desktop, document, and download files to an external hard drive, and I have emptied my trash can. However, after all of this, my Mac still says I have 139GB in "Other" files. What could these files possibly be and how do I get rid of them? Need help ASAP please!

Reaction score
Hi,

Could be many reasons.

First thing I would check is here for iPhone / iTunes backups ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

{ you need ~ at the beginning of your search }

You will have to use this route to find the folder as ~/Library is a hidden area, to get to it you need to use Go to Folder from Finder, either via the Go->Go to Folder menu item or Shift+Command+G keyboard shortcut and put ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ into the popup box.

let us know results.

Reaction score
Hi,

Could be many reasons.

First thing I would check is here for iPhone / iTunes backups ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

{ you need ~ at the beginning of your search }

You will have to use this route to find the folder as ~/Library is a hidden area, to get to it you need to use Go to Folder from Finder, either via the Go->Go to Folder menu item or Shift+Command+G keyboard shortcut and put ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ into the popup box.

let us know results.

That was only about 275 MBs worth of storage being used.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be email, log files, caches, application support files, etc.

Try looking in your user library folder:
1. In Finder, click Go in the menu bar, then press the Option key and Library will appear about halfway down, click it.
2. Click the four horizontal line icon or press Command -2 to view the window in list mode.
3. Click View > Show View Options.
4. Check the box next to Calculate all sizes, then click the Use as Defaults button.

Finder will calculate all of the folder sizes and you should see what some of that "Other" space is being taken up by. You can then sort that window by clicking on the word Size, which will sort the folders/files by largest to smallest. DO NOT delete anything in there, unless you know what you are doing or after you ask us.

C

Ask a Question