Imac Used by school. Need help

Reaction score
I was given an Apple iMac "Core Duo" 1.83 17-Inch. it was prev used in a high school. supposedly it was wiped but after i set it up . all of the options are still greyed out cant access any options.
It says its os x. im a pc guy so know nothing about macs. i want to use it for my daughter . please help

Reaction score
I went in as if id forgotten the admin password thru the terminal and followed a process i found online as a workaround
created myself as an admin. via apple key s.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a long shot, but I wonder if the Mac is part of Apple's Device Enrollment Program? Can you see a section called "Profiles" in the system's preferences? In the unlikely event this is the issue, the Mac would still be under the control of the school's IT department. Probably not it, but best I can offer.

Reaction score
This is a long shot, but I wonder if the Mac is part of Apple's Device Enrollment Program? Can you see a section called "Profiles" in the system's preferences? In the unlikely event this is the issue, the Mac would still be under the control of the school's IT department. Probably not it, but best I can offer.
it did have a profile called cmhs admin
i deleted it. which may have been a wrong choice

Reaction score
it did have a profile called cmhs admin i deleted it. which may have been a wrong choice

If you could delete it, that's probably a user account, and not what I was referring to. Never mind about what I was referring to, that's probably a dead end.

How about this? Do you have any Mac user friends who are a bit experienced? If not, could you maybe hire a college kid who is?

Wiping the drive clean and reinstalling a fresh copy of OSX (operating system) is not a big deal for anyone with a little Mac experience. It might be easier to just hire someone to do this for you, as it's less than an hour job, and doesn't require a high level of skill.

The latest version of OSX is free.

Earlier versions are available on Amazon for around $15. I had a good experience with an Amazon vendor called "MacInstaller".

I kinda forget what a "Core Duo" is so I shouldn't advise you which version of OSX to get. I'm sure one of the other guys here will know.

Reaction score
It looks like your machine is this one:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_cd_1.83_17.html

That being the case, the highest Mac OS version you can use is Snow Leopard, OS 10.6.8. Note that on that link, it states that the machine typically comes with OS 10.4.4. I'm not sure if you can get OS 10.4.4, or OS 10.5. But yes, you can purchase OS 10.6.8 from the App Store, or Amazon.com. It costs $19.99 at the Apple Store:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Not sure, though, if you'll get Version 10.6.8.

Ask a Question