Need Help w/ Mac OS Preview Tool

Reaction score
I just purchased a new mac book pro and the Preview tool is not functioning like it did on my old MBP.

When I open an image with Preview (I'm making sure it's shown at its actual size), then highlight a part of it, copy/paste into a new image file, it's expanding the image by about 2-fold, resulting in the image now being heavily pixilated.

I can't figure out anywhere to modify settings so that when I copy/paste things, they remain the exact same size and resolution as the original file.

Any idea what's going on here? It's making it impossible for me to crop images and maintain image quality.

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the new image set to actual size.

I use Preview all the time for this and find it better than any graphics app.

Reaction score
That's not it. I'm positive that I have the screenshot or original image set to actual size. Then I'm dragging over a selected area, hitting Command+C, then Command+N - the new image that pops up is nearly twice the size of my original image and pixilated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Check this:

Preview > Preferences > Images > Define 100% scale as: (select) 1 image pixel equals 1 screen pixel

C

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not getting any different result. Thank you for trying. I'm not sure if the mac store is going to be able to help but I'm beginning to think something is wrong with this computer.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Mac...it's a software issue somewhere. The Apple Store should be able to identify and fix the issue. Sometimes it's slightly difficult to do via posts in a forum like this, without being able to actually see what is happening and having test drives with known good installs of Mac OS X to verify the issue with first-hand.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know. And, let us know how you get on with their support.

C

Ask a Question