Mystery electrical issue with iMac

Reaction score
I have a really strange problem and I was wondering if anyone has come across it before.

My mid2010, 27inch iMac will not turn on in my flat. I get no response whatsoever - no chimes, beeps, whirring, lights - nothing. I had been having a few troubles with it since my friend unplugged it while it was booted up (end of August) and two days later my flatmate switched off the entire power supply without warning me to change a lightbulb (don't ask). After these two incidents, I sometimes had to leave it plugged in for 20-30 mins before it would power up. But it always eventually did and it was working OK generally - albeit quite slow.

I decided to upgrade the RAM to help speed it up. Once I'd seated the new RAM it wouldn't turn on. I spent hours trying this in various permutations but it just refused to turn on, even if I returned to the original RAM. Thinking I'd messed up the seating, I took it to a repair shop. It turned on straight away and they tested the new RAM to make sure it was OK (c. 6 hours and 3 passes of testing).

I took it back home, it wouldn't switch on. I took it back to the shop, it turned on. Back to mine, no joy.

I've tried three power cords, every switch in the flat and even two different ones at the reception area of my building. I've left it plugged in overnight. I've reset the SMC. I've checked that the power supply is definitely connected. I've switched off all other sockets on the circuit. We happened to have had an electrician in testing the circuits on the day it was in the repair shop after I upgraded the RAM. He said the voltage supply from the sockets is all standard and correct. I spoke to my brother who is an electrician and he couldn't think of a single reason this wouldn't work. I've now started to doubt my ability to press an On button because I've run out of potential reasons for the problem.

If anyone has any ideas about this I would be immensely grateful! I use it for freelance work and so I'm losing money. I definitely can't afford a new one (this one was second hand off a friend a few years ago). I also have an old copy of Creative Suite on there and lost the discs long ago. If I can't get it back it's going to cost me a fortune in new hardware and software!

In summary, this is an iMac that doesn't appear to be broken, using electrical circuits that appear to be working fine, but I get nothing from it.

Thanks,
Ellie

Reaction score
Do you have the iMac plug into a power strip? Have you check that for problems. Maybe that is the problem? If you took the computer into shop and they found nothing wrong then there's something going on with the building electrical or something connecting to the power cord of the computer.

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply! I've tried it directly in the electrical sockets rather than on a power strip. Still no joy. The electrician and building managers swear there's nothing wrong with the electrics - but I guess they would! I think it's going to be a wrangle with them now...

Thanks

Ask a Question