My Mac won't connect to 5ghz wifi (my home's)

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 2021, Sonoma 14. My Mac won't connect to my home's 5ghz network, but it would connect to other 5ghz networks like in my office, on the other hand my Desktop, iPhone, Multiple TVs work perfectly fine with my home's 5ghz network. When I try to connect to it, it may connect for a few minutes, seconds, then just disconnects. This started happening since when my broadband company made me change the wifi name.. My Mac is the most used device so id like to be able to use good wifi on it. Iv tried so many things at this point I am tired.
Please help, thank you for all your answers

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 2021, Sonoma 14. My Mac won't connect to my home's 5ghz network, but it would connect to other 5ghz networks like in my office, on the other hand my Desktop, iPhone, Multiple TVs work perfectly fine with my home's 5ghz network. When I try to connect to it, it may connect for a few minutes, seconds, then just disconnects. This started happening since when my broadband company made me change the wifi name.. My Mac is the most used device so id like to be able to use good wifi on it. Iv tried so many things at this point I am tired.
Please help, thank you for all your answers
Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

Several things..

1. Does your 5GHz and 2.4Ghz networks have the same SSID & Password?
2. How far away from your WiFi router is the MacBook Pro?
3. What kind of WiFi router are you using?
4. Are you in a congested area where you see a lot of wifi networks under the Airport menu?
5. Is your WiFi band set to auto select the channel?
6. Just out of curiosity, why did your broadband company make you change the name?

Reaction score
Hey

1. They have the same password but not the name, I have tried making them having different password before, same name too
2. I think around 30 feet
3. I don't know, it's called "Airtel xtrem fiber" by Nokia. (Airtel is my broadband company)
4. I see four to five more networks under wifi
5. About this I am unsure (You mean from my Mac?)
6. It was working slow, so they made me change the name

Reaction score
For best WiFi performance your 2.4 and 5GHz networks should have the same SSID and passwords. You Mac will pick the best band to use based on different criteria such as distance from the router, Interference, and other things.. From what you stated, your Mac should connect to the 5GHz band when connecting if both networks have the same name and password. If you are connecting to the 2.4Ghz band it may be that there is some interference.

Once you change things back to the same name and password in the router, then you should delete the settings for the network from your system, and then add it back,

To delete it you need to use KeyChain Access which is in your utilities folder. and do a search for your network name, and delete the entries.

Next go into the System Settings to Network. Click on WiFi and then Advanced on the bottom. Here you need to locate your network name and delete entries by clicking in the 3 dots in a circle and select Remove From List.

Once this is done, reconnect to your network and enter the password.

Go Back into Network in the system settings and click on WiFi. This time Click on Details. In the Window that comes up click on DNS on the left side. Under DNS Servers click the + sign and enter 8.8.8.8 then click the + sign again and enter 8.8.4.4 and then OK. This will help speeding up your web browsing by using Googles public DNS.

Next toggle your WiFi, off and then back on.

You can tell which band you are connecting to as well as your connection speed and other info by selecting the Airport menu while holding down the Option key. You will get a meny like this.

Network Menu.jpg

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I first tried it without combining the bands, it started working, it worked for 15 minutes.., then again it just kept disconnecting, I had to reconnect it again and again. then I combined them, redid everything, now it's simply always connected to 2.4ghz network with slow speed. My desktop is much further away, it never have any problems with my 5ghz network, My tv same distance as laptop, my phone too, none of them have problem except this mac

Ask a Question