Galaxy earbugs won't connect to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
My Galaxy earbuds have successfully worked with my 2019 Macbook Pro in the past. Now they won't. Visible in the bluetooth window as an available device (ie paired, I guess), when I click connect, they do so briefly (though nothing sounds in them) and then revert to disconnected. They're not currently paired with any other device, and I've tried resetting them to no avail. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
have you tried to reset the Galaxy earbuds to factory settings and then re-pair them? You should be able to google how to do this.

Reaction score
Sorry that I missed in your original post that you had tried resetting the earbuds already.

I would recommend resetting the Bluetooth and the SMC on your MacBook Pro ti resolve this

Depending on the OS that you are running on your MacBook Pro will depend how you do this.

To Reset the Bluetooth module...

If you have Catalina or Big Sur follow these steps:
1. Hold down the Option and Shift keys while clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the menubar.
2. Select Reset the Bluetooth module (If the icon isn't in your menubar you can enabke the menubar icon in the Bluetooth Prefs).
3. Shutdown your MacBook Pro.

If you have Monterey or Ventura installed follow these steps:
1. Open up the Terminal.app (Its located in /Appllications/Utilities)
2. Type in sudo pkill bluetoothd and hit enter
3. Type in your admin password (you will not see any typing) and then hit enter.
4. Shutdown your MacBook Pro.

Next, reset the SMC by following these steps.
1. Plug in the USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
2. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift Control Option keys and the power button at the same time.
3. After 3 seconds release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on your MacBook Pro.

After your MacBook Pro is back up and running, re-pair all of your bluetooth devices,

Reaction score
Sorry that I missed in your original post that you had tried resetting the earbuds already.

I would recommend resetting the Bluetooth and the SMC on your MacBook Pro ti resolve this

Depending on the OS that you are running on your MacBook Pro will depend how you do this.

1. Hold down the Option and Shift keys while clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the menubar.
2. Select Reset the Bluetooth module (If the icon isn't in your menubar you can enabke the menubar icon in the Bluetooth Prefs).

3. Type in your admin password (you will not see any typing) and then hit enter.

2. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift Control Option keys and the power button at the same time.

After your MacBook Pro is back up and running, re-pair all of your bluetooth devices,
Thanks so much! Will reply again with results :)

Reaction score
OK, followed instructions to reset the Bluetooth module (in Ventura), and then as per instructions shut down (process obviously does not notify success or failure).

Next, I was not sure whether the reset SMC required a restart after shutting down, so first attempted to do so while shut down. Pressing the specified keys merely started up, so retried after startup was complete and followed the steps, which ended in a black screen, so, assuming all well, started up as instructed ( - again no notification of success or failure, but I presumed success).

Next opened bluetooth settings to re-pair my earbuds. They were still there in the list of devices, so no need to re-pair (does this mean the reset of the bluetooth module had failed?). Clicked connect and the same thing happened: they connected, sound stayed coming out of the built-in speakers instead of outputting through the buds, and the connection then dropped out after about ten seconds.

Reaction score

OK, I followed the reset bluetooth module instructions and shut down (obviously no notification of success or failure in the process).

Next I was unsure whether to start up again before resetting the SMC so first attempted to do so while shut down. This merely started up the comuter, so once that was complete I retried. Process ended with a black screen, so I assumed success and started up again.

Next I opened bluetooth settings to re-pair the earbuds. They (and all other previously-existing items) were still in the list (does this mean the bluetooth module reset had failed?). Clicked connect and they connected, but sound continued to play from the built-in speakers instead of outputting to the buds, and then the same thing happened: after about 10 seconds the connection dropped out.

So thanks again for your help. What next, I wonder?

Reaction score
OK, I followed the reset bluetooth module instructions and shut down (obviously no notification of success or failure in the process).

Next I was unsure whether to start up again before resetting the SMC so first attempted to do so while shut down. This merely started up the comuter, so once that was complete I retried. Process ended with a black screen, so I assumed success and started up again.

Next I opened bluetooth settings to re-pair the earbuds. They (and all other previously-existing items) were still in the list (does this mean the bluetooth module reset had failed?). Clicked connect and they connected, but sound continued to play from the built-in speakers instead of outputting to the buds, and then the same thing happened: after about 10 seconds the connection dropped out.

So thanks again for your help. What next, I wonder?
PS I reopened bluetooth settings and removed the buds from the list, then quit and sealed the buds' case. Relaunched bluetooth settings, had it search for nearby devices and reopened the buds' case. So far the computer is still searching for the buds (about 10 minutes). Seems the computer's bluetooth can't detect the buds. I wonder why?

Reaction score
Another thing to try is to reset the PRAM.

To do this:

1. Shutdown the MacBook Pro
2. Start your macBook Pro and immediately hold the Command Option P R keys.
You will see the Apple logo, then the screen will go black and when the Apple logo will show again.
3. When the Apple logo disappears the 2nd time let go of the keys.

Ask a Question