My Mac freezes up.

Reaction score
Hello,

You guys have helped me a lot in the past, so her I am again.

This is my Mac G4, running under Panther 10.3.9

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.8)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 3.1.3f1
Serial Number: SG9481YSHM1

Quite often, usually when I have 1 or 2 programs open or try IPhoto or Photoshop or similar situations and I move an object using my mouse, my Mac freezes up. Also does it when I reduce a picture in IPhoto and try to export it to the desktop or to a folder.

Not enough RAM ? Processor too slow ? Any ideas ?

Thank you.

Takeo.

Reaction score
Hello,

You guys have helped me a lot in the past, so her I am again.

This is my Mac G4, running under Panther 10.3.9

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.8)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 3.1.3f1
Serial Number: SG9481YSHM1

Quite often, usually when I have 1 or 2 programs open or try IPhoto or Photoshop or similar situations and I move an object using my mouse, my Mac freezes up. Also does it when I reduce a picture in IPhoto and try to export it to the desktop or to a folder.

Not enough RAM ? Processor too slow ? Any ideas ?

Thank you.

Takeo.
Hello, There are many things that can cause freezing. A bad mouse, oddly enough, can cause freezing. Have you tried using a different mouse?

Reaction score
Hello, There are many things that can cause freezing. A bad mouse, oddly enough, can cause freezing. Have you tried using a different mouse?

Hi Walrus !

Thank you for your reply. The mouse I have is a new one, Mac Model 5769, one that came with a G5, it is a mouse with an infrared sensor or whatever it is called. The other mouse I have is an old Logitech M-U48a with a ball that requires frequent cleaning, but same freezing.

Remark: I also seem to observe that when, for instance in photoshop, I move objects very very very slowly (not practical) the Mac does not freeze. I have also seen it freeze when I reduce a window to the dock.
I mean that I have the impression that the freezing occurs a bit at random, but most frequently when I try to move an object using the mouse.

Thanks,

Takeo.

Reaction score
Hi Walrus !

Thank you for your reply. The mouse I have is a new one, Mac Model 5769, one that came with a G5, it is a mouse with an infrared sensor or whatever it is called. The other mouse I have is an old Logitech M-U48a with a ball that requires frequent cleaning, but same freezing.

Remark: I also seem to observe that when, for instance in photoshop, I move objects very very very slowly (not practical) the Mac does not freeze. I have also seen it freeze when I reduce a window to the dock.
I mean that I have the impression that the freezing occurs a bit at random, but most frequently when I try to move an object using the mouse.

Thanks,

Takeo.
Hello Takeo,
You might want to try using a different usb port for your mouse. Of course, there's also settings for your mouse in System Preferences that you can experiment with. In addition, have you tried setting up another user's account on your Mac or repairing permissions and your start up disc? Running a maintenance app like Cocktail or MainMenu might not be a bad idea as well. Also, more times than not, freezing is caused by bad RAM. Here's a link to a free app that checks your RAM.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508

Reaction score
Hello Takeo,
You might want to try using a different usb port for your mouse. Of course, there's also settings for your mouse in System Preferences that you can experiment with. In addition, have you tried setting up another user's account on your Mac or repairing permissions and your start up disc? Running a maintenance app like Cocktail or MainMenu might not be a bad idea as well. Also, more times than not, freezing is caused by bad RAM. Here's a link to a free app that checks your RAM.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508

Thank you Walrus, I ran the rember test and it says all is ok.

Thanx,

Takeo.

Reaction score
Hi Guys !

My latest observations: I go chat in chat jungle and at every login I get a message saying that a script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash player 9 to run slow and if I let that script running, my 'puter may become unresponsive. If I click abort script, I dont get connected, if I keep it running, I get connected but will crash sooner or later.
Now I also see that, in fact, the crashes only occur when connected to the internet and surfing or doing something similar.
BUT also when I run a large program like Photoshop or try to edit a picture in IPhoto or try to move something in Google Earth.
In these large programs, crash occurs whenever I try moving /dragging an object with the mouse.
Although occurrences are random as to timing.

Does all that make any sense to any of you ?

Thanks,

Takeo.

Reaction score
Hi Guys !

My latest observations: I go chat in chat jungle and at every login I get a message saying that a script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash player 9 to run slow and if I let that script running, my 'puter may become unresponsive. If I click abort script, I dont get connected, if I keep it running, I get connected but will crash sooner or later.
Now I also see that, in fact, the crashes only occur when connected to the internet and surfing or doing something similar.
BUT also when I run a large program like Photoshop or try to edit a picture in IPhoto or try to move something in Google Earth.
In these large programs, crash occurs whenever I try moving /dragging an object with the mouse.
Although occurrences are random as to timing.

Does all that make any sense to any of you ?

Thanks,

Takeo.
Have you tried running any maintenance apps or reinstalling the O.S.? You might even consider updating. She's getting a bit old. I recently updated to a new iMac from an eMac 1.25 GHz and let me tell you, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :D

Ask a Question