My Mac Doesnt Start, It Has Fallen And Wont Get Up....

Reaction score
O.K. HERES THE DRILL...... I have a mac that was given to me cuz I cant afford to buy a new one....poor me, anyway Im not familiar with macs so the info I can give you about this machine right now is very limited guys. As far as I know this is a apple power macintosh g4 m5183 desktop. Now when I plug in the power cord and hit the power switch....no sound no fan ....nothing at all. I'll be honest I cant afford apple tech support...they want a million dollars a minute. I tried to use the "pc way of thinking" and Im guessing that maybe the psu is bad or maybe the onboard battery. Again I really am not familiar with mac technology so in order to help me you will have to tell me where to look to provide you the info....Now I can get inside the case no problem...By the way the onboard battery is a "TADIRAN 3.6 VOLTS HIGH ENERGY LITHIUM SIZE 1/2AA BATTERY" (If you knew how much to replace one of those , if needed that would also be a plus)

Reaction score
The battery is one that can be picked up in the US at a Radio Shack. There is a reset button on the logic board. It is usually located near the PCI slot near the center of the logic board. Press and hold for about 10 seconds with the power cord disconnected. Then try to power it up.

Mad Mark Milwaukee WI USA

Reaction score
I dont see anything on the logic (mother???) board except one little button i think . i tried to press it.............. and no good but im going to go across the street right now to buy a new battery, in fact ill probably be back before you read this and reply.....but lemme ask you this....? can this mac support leopard or am i wasting my effort for nothing ? i am really enticed at the whole feel of the mac especially with this new o/s which is probablly the main reason i going to the limit but if it cant support it then sholud i just keep my pc?....just curious.
by the way it has 2 hard drives (80gb , 40gb) one optical drive-doesnt power on so i cant tell you what kind yet-for memory slots and a ati rage pro agp video card, which im going to change anyway...i wish i had more info for you .....but hopefully im not wasting my money..

Reaction score
I had to go to work for a bit.

This is the rounded gray case? The g$ with built in FireWire is supposed to support Leopard. Just finished taking a class on Tiger and they stated that the G4 with FW are supposed to support the new OS.

If pressing the reset button did not work, yeah, it is a tiny button, then disconnect the internal buses to the hard drives and optical drive(s). Reset it again, try to power it up. If that does not work, pull all the ram. You should get some beeps telling you that there is no RAM. If that does not work, get a different Mac?

http://www.shrevesystems.com/ is a good place for parts and used macs.

MadMark

Reaction score
i brought a new battery ( the old one as shot) pressed the button ( which happens to be right next to the battery bracket) hit power and.......voila!! Absolutely.. nothing!should i give up fellas..?

Reaction score
lovemacs_1973_203881653.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just Arrived![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]400mhz, 256-meg, 40-gig hd,CDRW,zip[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Includes keyboard and mouse[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$349.[/FONT]

this is the one that i have (im not sure about the specs but it looks identical to the one i have...
ok im going to try again before i get arrested for assault with a deadly mac....lol

Reaction score
I THINK IM GOING TO CRY....i finally got a mac....and it fdoesnt work!!!! My life soooo sucks dude.... I guess you can tell by my reaction that it didnt work.
But i did notice something....when i plug the cable into the psu the connection sparks a little or you hear a tiny zap as if the connection( electrical anyway) is being made.....but as i said before, nothing else... no hum, whirl, fan, nada, zip, zero, nathans, donuts, jack squat.

Reaction score
That is the one I was thinking of. It is just a computer. Did you follow the power button wires to the main logic board? Sometimes the switch is bad. Just touch the pins together quickly and release.

One more thing to try.

Ask a Question