MSN Messenger though iChat

Reaction score
Hi,

I just configured iChat so I can talk to MSN users using a jabber service. But I'm a bit confused, and have a few questions (as I've always used MSN Messenger) ...

1/ How do I use my built-in iSight camera to talk to other MSN users? This is why I decided to use iChat. It seems that when I try to click the video button it won't do anything.

2/ Can I save conversations like I do with MSN?

3/ Can I appear offline and talk to users?

4/ Can I block users?

Thanks for any and all help! I'm a little lost here :)

Reaction score
Hello Bflywings!

I will try my best to answer your questions:

1/ How do I use my built-in iSight camera to talk to other MSN users? This is why I decided to use iChat. It seems that when I try to click the video button it won't do anything.

I am honestly not sure. iChat wasn't designed to work with MSN specifically, but you found a way around. My guess is that you can't because Jabber doesn't support video and you are using Jabber as a means to connect to MSN. If iChat could connect directly to MSN, it would probably work just fine.

2/ Can I save conversations like I do with MSN?

You should be able to if you go into iChat preferences --> Messages --> Check Automatically Save iChat Transcripts. That should do it.

3/ Can I appear offline and talk to users?

Yes, if you go to your name above your contact list; right under that you should see your status. You should see an invisible option.

4/ Can I block users?

If you go to the Buddy item in the menu bar, you should have a Block option.

I haven't used iChat with Jabber before so I don't know if all of these features are available. Also, I am running Leopard with the new iChat. So, it may be different for you. Best of luck.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Okay, thanks, your answers were really helpful!

I'd love to use iChat, but the only real advantage would be to use my iSight, and it doesn't seem like it allows that. So I may revert back to MSN ... perhaps Microsoft will create a new Mac version in the near future.

I've also heard that using jabbers is dangerous (in other words, they can obtain your MSN password and log into your account). So maybe it would be a good idea to just leave iChat for now.

Thanks again for your help!

Ask a Question