Moving files between user accounts...

Reaction score
Hi,

First time poster here, but to be honest i am fairly new to mac's so not had a great deal to do with mac forums in the past so here goes.

I have a friends 2.16ghz ibook with os x 10.4.9 installed on it. Now the problem i have is that the default user account has become corrupt. In that i mean that whenever i try to log in with that account i get the stutter as though i have entered the wrong password, it takes me through the stages of changing the password through the master password but still i get the stutter and a message informing me that i cannot access that account at this time.

a problem unto itself, so i booted from the disc and tried changing the password there to no further avail. i will point out here that at this point the only profile i was able to select was the corrupt account so i could not get onto a desktop at all. So at this point i thought that i would try the archive/install to repair the os. This did not work either and i get the same error messages.

At this point i started thinking that if i could create another profile then i would be able to move the files (photos/music etc) from the other profile into the new one and thus solving the issue. So... i gave the System Administrator account a password and then logged on with it... it worked and from here i was able to creat myself a new account with which to use as a basis to restoring the other profile.

So now i am here, is there any way that i can move the files from the other account into the new account, where would these files be stored? any help would be muchly appreciated for sure...

And while we are here is there a way to restore the contents of another users trashcan from this profile? ;)

Tim

Ask a Question