Mid 2009 macbook pro

Reaction score
I have a mabook pro from mid 2009 and running Yosemite 10.5 I believe. It says no updates available when I try to update it, I am wondering if I can update it to another OS by thumb drive or something. Like windows it says unsupported OS but you can update it to the new OS by buying it.

Reaction score
10.5 is actually Leopard and Yosemite is 10.10. You can confirm which one you have by clicking on the Apple symbol in the Menubar and clicking on About This Mac.

According to Mactracker, your Mac can run 10.11 El Capitan.

If you are on 10.5 Leopard, to upgrade to a more recent OS, you first need to install 10.6 Snow Leopard to get access to the App Store. That only comes on a DVD.

In the UK you can find it here:

and here in the US: https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Leopard...144&sprefix=snow+leopard+apple,aps,280&sr=8-2

Just be aware of those sellers selling it on USB sticks. Apple only ever sold it on DVD, so USB versions are copies and can't be guaranteed to work.

Ask a Question