Messed up iMac G4

Reaction score
It's an iMac G4, 800 MHz, and it's on the fritz.

It has random kernel panics, sometimes when I turn it on, sometimes when I'm using Safari, and just about sometimes all the time. :(

I tried repairing the disk permissions, archived and installed Tiger twice, and ran Apple Hardware Test. It came up with:

Error code: disp/13/3

Basically meaning, video ram, part 13, error #3.

The video ram is built in to the logic board, soldered onto it. I'm trying to find a way to fix this without logic board replacement.

A full-blown logic board repair would set me back $250, and I'm wanting to sell this thing and get a Mac Mini.

I've got $200 saved up, and hopefully any repairs will cost less than that, so I can somehow make a profit on this spastic computer.

I love Macs, but sometimes (like now) they can be frustrating, as can all computers.

The one thing that really bothers me, though, is that Apple said a diagnostic costs $45. I don't want to pay that kind of money just to see what's wrong!

Ask a Question