Memory managment problem

Reaction score
I have rMBP, i7, 256SSD, 16GB of RAM (2014)

From 2 months I have a serious problem with memory management. To monitor it downloaded from the AppStore - Dr.Cleaner - which count the resources used.

At the moment I'm using: Mail, Firefox (3 tabs open) - Memory consumption looks like this:
http://wrzucaj.net/image/Hch

I spoke with Apple Support(I have Apple Care) and they advised me to do reset the PRAM and SMC - it helped for a few hours. it means - consumption decreased to 20-30% and then again jumped to 80-99%

When I run Parallels is already 99% to the max and are suspended - and sometimes computer resets and displays the screen - Computer suddenly switched off (I have .crash files from the hard reset).

What could it be?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

It could be many things.

-Which version of Mac OS X?
-How often do you restart you Mac?
-Do you view a lot of video/Flash/audio streaming content during your browsing?
-How many/what apps are open and running simultaneously - other than those you listed?
-Since you mentioned Parallels, what version, is it always running, and how is it configured as far as RAM/CPUs/etc.?

C

Reaction score
Which version of Mac OS X - 10.10.5
-How often do you restart you Mac - once, twice a week
-Do you view a lot of video/Flash/audio streaming content during your browsing - No
-How many/what apps are open and running simultaneously - other than those you listed - only these listed
-Since you mentioned Parallels, what version, is it always running, and how is it configured as far as RAM/CPUs/etc.?
run win7 only, ver:9.0.24251, 1GB ram, 1 processor

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It is possible. I know I get a hiccup every now and then with Parallels 9 and Yosemite, but I don't use it that often. Upgrade if you want...you will need to for El Capitan.

You could monitor what is going on with memory using Activity Monitor. It will show you processor and memory usage per process/application. Run it for a while, observe, and post anything that looks out of sorts. Maybe that will help us narrow it down.

C

Reaction score
you are right - but I have problem with memory management even if I not run Parallels. Look on attachment. Sorry for polish language - but this screen is from Activity Monitor - so - in English is same scheme

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2015-09-28 o 07.28.02.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2015-09-28 o 07.28.02.png
    39 KB · Views: 330

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That looks normal to me. Yosemite changed the way your Mac uses RAM/System Memory. It can easily look like all your memory is being used - i.e. Physical Memory: 16 GB Memory Used: 15 GB. In older versions of OS X, that would be an issue. The thing you should look at to monitor your Mac's memory usage and if you are having issues is the Memory Pressure graph. If it stays green, as yours is in the screenshot in your last post, you are just fine.

Here's a little more about Yosemite's Activity Monitor, and what everything means: Use Activity Monitor on your Mac. Pay close attention to the Memory section.

But, if your Mac is crashing as you stated previously, then it is more than likely a software issue, although it could be hardware. Make sure all your apps/software are up to date with the latest versions. Anti-virus apps and third-party apps like MacKeeper and CleanMyMac are not recommended, as they cause all sorts of issues. It also wouldn't hurt to have an Apple Store run a full hardware diagnostic on your MBP, to rule out any hardware issues.

C

Ask a Question