"Memory full"...but it isn't...

Reaction score
Hi, thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who'll help me out...

Basically, I am trying to save a documnent in Word and I keep being presented with the following error message: "The disk is full trying to write to Macintosh HD". I'm not exactly sure what that means, but i checked and according to the computer "Mac HD" has plenty of room (hundreds of GB). So what does it mean? And how can it be fixed?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
This is a known bug in Word. There is nothing you can do but restart your Mac, or Force Quit Word and Restart you Mac. Yes, you will lose all work that has not been saved, there seems to be no way around this, sorry.

Note: Always Word menu > Quit (Command-Q) Word when it is not being used, Not just close the last window. This will reduce the chance of encountering this bug.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Agreed, it's a "known" issue.

Before following Kaveman's advice, you can save your work by selecting all the text and pasting it into a sticky note or another text editor/word processor. After restarting, open it and copy/paste it into a new Word document and save it.

C

Reaction score
Totally Agree, Great advice but you may find somethings don't copy and paste.

Pages or TextEdit will give you the best chance of retaining your work.

If you are not using advanced Word "features" then I would recommend switching to either of these, both can Save as.../ Share as Word documents.

Ask a Question