MBP mid 2012 SSD upgrade: HD partitions

Reaction score
So, I've got an SSD drive to install on my MBP in place of original HD. I am not the original owner of this MB, and I didn't set up the HD. To clone the drive to the new SSD I presume that it will need to be identical to the existing HD. However, there appear to be two partitions on the HD and this is not mentioned in the manufacturer's guide for installation. See the images attached.

In Disk Utility, should I just "Restore" the "Container disk2" to the SSD?

Disk Util 3.jpg

Disk Util 2.jpg

Disk Util 1.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The easiest would be to make a Time Machine backup, or use Carbon Copy Cloner/SuperDuper! to make a bootable clone. You can then install macOS on the SSD, and use the Migration Assistant to move your data.

Catalina, correct? If so, that may be why you are seeing the separate read-only System and User Data partitions.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The easiest would be to make a Time Machine backup, or use Carbon Copy Cloner/SuperDuper! to make a bootable clone. You can then install macOS on the SSD, and use the Migration Assistant to move your data.

Catalina, correct? If so, that may be why you are seeing the separate read-only System and User Data partitions.

C
Could not agree more about a SuperDuper! backup! Plus it is compatible with Catalina (not Big Sur yet).

And yes, Cory, he is on OS 10.15.7 (look at that headings on the second and third screen shots. It says OS 10.15.7).

Ask a Question