Mark as Junk option

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have posted this before a while back but did not find a solution so here goes again.
I am running Mac Sierra 10.12.3. I have usually had the option to right click an email and select 'mark as junk'
but this option is no longer available and I am getting increasing amounts of junk mail. I have attached a screen grab of my junk settings, i have tried resetting the settings but still no success. Also attached is a screen grab of the right click options. Any advice appreciated. Cheers Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 07.15.44.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 07.15.44.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 07.28.02.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 07.28.02.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 300

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
It appears that the "Mark" "As Unread/ As Junk Mail" side-menu has been replaced with "Move To Junk" in Sierra & I see you have checked "Mark as Junk but leave in Inbox" when you receive any mail from previous recipients, contacts or mail addressed using your full name.

I'm unsure exactly what you are seeking as the right click option is still there but reworded, "Mark As Junk" or "Move To Junk" will both result in Mail learning what is or what is not Junk.

Also based on your Settings Junk mail would be filtered into your Inbox, this is what you've chosen to happen.

Are you saying if you change these settings they keep reverting to how they appear in your screenshot?

Or are you saying you have increasing amounts of mail being accidentally filtered into the Junk Folder?

You may need to log into your mail account on your ISP's website & mark these emails as not junk as your ISP's server could be tagging them as spam before they even get to your Mac therefore Mail would see them as Junk.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am really just frustrated at the persistence of junk mail and the disappearance of the mark as junk option. I must confess that I did not realise "move to junk" was the replacement. On your advice I have altered the option for filtering the junk into my inbox and hopefully will see an improvement -) I had just left these settings as default.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your help with this, result -)
a hole lot less of junk, virtually nil now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 07.46.28.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 07.46.28.png
    79 KB · Views: 258

Ask a Question