Mail forwarding

Reaction score
When I receive emails, I also get a message form Google that they cannot deliver the message to a certain gmail address (not mine, i have no gmail address). A more knowledgeable friend told me that someone must have broken into my email, and set up automatic forwarding to his chosen address, apparently to spy on my email. Also he said that Google must have discovered his activity, and closed that account, so I get the no-delivery message.

I would like to eliminate this persistent messaging. I looked into the forwarding setup in Mail, and did not find anything amiss there, so can I assume that the mischief was done at my server (AOL)?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

No offense to your friend, but that is a highly unlikely scenario. I don't believe the free version of AOL Mail has mail forwarding capabilities. If someone had hacked your AOL account, simply changing your AOL password will prevent any others that had access to lose that ability unless they update the password, if that were the case. Google will never monitor activity like that an automatically disable an account.
  • Are you getting this message with every email you receive, or some?
  • Did this issue just start recently?
  • Do you see the same issue on your Mac and any other device that accesses your AOL account?
  • What happens if you send an email to yourself?
C

Ask a Question