Mail bouncing back

Reaction score
A very odd circumstance has arisen with my mail. With one recipient only, whether I send a message via me.com, or icloud.com or (last resort!) btinternet, from time to time, with no apparent pattern and certainly no logic, some come back with a "failed to deliver" message. I've spoken with the recipient, but they're no help, although they did indicate on the first occasion that they were having some trouble with the me.com addresses. Since this isn't happening except with this one recipient, am I right to assume that the problem must be with them, rather than with me? At present, I'm trusting to luck every time I send them something - they're important for my work, and there's no way around using them. Any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Reaction score
First, is it now happening every time, or is it "hit and miss"?

Secondly, ask them for an alternate EMiail address, and see what happens then.

I am not familiar with any of those methods for sending EMails (although it seems btinternet is your ISP?), and in fact when I typed me.com in Google Chrome, this disturbing screen came up:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 10.16.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 10.16.16 AM.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 203
Reaction score
First, is it now happening every time, or is it "hit and miss"?

Secondly, ask them for an alternate EMiail address, and see what happens then.

I am not familiar with any of those methods for sending EMails (although it seems btinternet is your ISP?), and in fact when I typed me.com in Google Chrome, this disturbing screen came up:

Reaction score
That is certainly weird. The me.com address was supposed to be an update from my original icloud address on the iMac - and it works with everyone else but this recipient. And yes, it is hit and miss. Yesterday, for instance, the morning message went through normally, the afternoon one was bounced back! I'll certainly ask if there's an alternative email address at the other end, although I think it's unlikely. What is really frustrating is that stuff sent to this recipient might bounce back whichever method I use - icloud, me.com, or bt. Which is why I have to assume that the issue is at their end, without having any idea what I can do about it. And so far they haven't been that helpful at the other end - a bit of shoulder-shrugging, and "we'll get our IT bloke to look at it" kind of thing.

Reaction score
Just so I understand, this also happens "hit and miss" when you send an EMail to that recipient through your Internet Service Provider (ISP), btinternet, correct? If so, what EMail program are you using to do that?

Assuming you are using an EMail program to send the EMails through your ISP, and also this happens when you use an "on line" site to send the EMail, then one would think you are correct, that the issue is on their end. If that's the case, there is nothing you can really do.

Reaction score
I think all of the addresses I use - icloud, me.com, and bt - do go through bt. I'm thinking of trying Gmail, which though more inconvenient from my point of view, might by-pass the problem you identify. And I'm increasingly of the opinion that the issue can't be at my end: surely I would have had some problem with at least one other recipient? So thanks for taking the trouble with these suggestions.

Reaction score
The mail sent through icloud and me.com would not go through your ISP's mail server. Such services are happening through your browser. For example, my ISP is Comcast, and I have a Comcast EMail address ([email protected]). When I launch my EMail program Thunderbird, it is accessing Comcast's servers for obtaining, processing, and sending EMails. But I also have EMail accounts on gmail and hotmail. I utilize those sites for EMails through my browser, Google Chrome. That is a different process.

Reaction score
The mail sent through icloud and me.com would not go through your ISP's mail server. Such services are happening through your browser. For example, my ISP is Comcast, and I have a Comcast EMail address ([email protected]). When I launch my EMail program Thunderbird, it is accessing Comcast's servers for obtaining, processing, and sending EMails. But I also have EMail accounts on gmail and hotmail. I utilize those sites for EMails through my browser, Google Chrome. That is a different process.
Thank you. This confirms, I think, my idea that my best bet is to use Gmail if only for this single recipient. I've tried it a couple of times and all seems well. I'm not (unlike you and I guess most people these days) used to having several different accounts. I'd better get used to it.

Ask a Question