Mag Safe Board

Reaction score
I noticed that my 2011 MacBook Pro 17 in would not show a "green " light on the charger's "L" tip. I replaced the Mag Safe board with one that I assumed was good purchased from Ebay, but although the battery shows a good state of charge, the "L" tip on my charger doesn't light up. The computer though starts up. Any ideas as to where to go from here? Thanks for any advice you might have.

Reaction score
Have you tried a different MagSafe 1 AC adaptor? It is possible that the one that you have is bad.

Reaction score
If you are referring to the charger unit, yes x2 no change. Thanks though for the suggestion,

Reaction score
Have you tried to zap the PRAM and reset the SMC.

To zap the PRAM
  • Shut down the computer.
  • On the built-in keyboard, at the same time press the following 4 keys. (left side) Command Option and the P R keys
  • Hold until the Mac restarts for the 3rd time, then let go..

To reset the SMC
  • Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the MagSafe adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Ask a Question