Macbook Wanadoo usb modem incompatibility

Reaction score
(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but a search didnt fully resolve problem and i would argue that OSX on intel is the reason for this problem )

HI

A friend of mine has recently bought a Macbook but cannot connect to the internet via his wanadoo usb modem , although his flatmates pc can.

He didnt articulate the problem too well, but i understood that the modem is powered via the usb connection and the macbook doesnt talk to the modem when its hooked up.

i seem to recall that most ,if not all, british broadband isp's have disclaimers that their supplied modems do not possess the drivers to support intel Mac OSX. I think that this is the reason that a direct connection between the Macbook and modem is not possible.

I want to suggest one of two solutions to him, but i would very much appreciate feedback as to whether these are proper solutions:

1) connect the wintel pc to the modem permanently via a wireless router, preferably an airport.

2) replace the existing modem with a Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem, as suggested by admin Ric elsewhere in these forums for a slightly different problem.

Can anybody tell me if either of these ideas would definitely solve the intel woes, or if im barking completely up the wrong tree on this one?

Many thanks,

barry

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Barry,

your number 2 is the best bet, it will definately work.... ;-)

They will want the DG834G this has wireless built into it...

Funnily enough, I have just ripped out a wanadoo USB modem today at my Nephews and installed the 834G...he has an iMac due tomorrow !

The new 834G will plug into his iMac via the ethernet socket and power the other PC's in the house via wireless.

If you need anymore technical info let us know.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
FWIW Barry, I use a little known "etech" wireless router and have done so for the last two years - never had an issue yet.

Basically any broadband ADSL modem router should work with the Mac - especially if it is connected via RJ45. :)

Reaction score
Just in case you are interested, Orange (who have taken wanadoo over) have details on their website about how to set up the usb modem with the Mac,, so the driver should be on the CD somewhere, or speedtouch usb modem drivers may already be prebuilt in the Mac.

http://help.orange.co.uk/resultDisplay.do?viewed=1

However, the router is the better option, but it might get you up and running until your router arrives ;)

EDIT: There you go, actual speedtouch drivers from the Thompson site. Check what the modem is first though ;)

http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

Install the speedtouch drivers (if they are the actual drivers for the modem) and then follow the instructions in the earlier Orange link.

Ask a Question