SOLVED MacBook pro 16 Hot

Reaction score
I recently bought a MacBook pro 16 from 2019 and the machine works well. It's just that when I run GarageBand, the Mac gets hot after 2 hours of work. Understand that programs that require a lot of performance from the processor mean that the machine must work in high gear.
The battery is also drained at that time. Although the battery status shows normal, I think it discharges quickly?

I have read on various forums that this specific model has had problems with getting hot quickly. I use a sound card that I connect guitar and midi keyboard, into the machine.

MacBook pro
16 inch
2,3 GHz Intel fore i9
Intel UHD Graphics 630
15336 MB
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
mac OS ventura 13.0.1

So my question is whether you have to expect the machine to be very hot after a session of work, at the same time the battery is drained flat (start at 100 %) The fan turns on but the machine remains warm. very warm …(Sorry for my bad english )

Anywhone?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I recently bought a MacBook pro 16 from 2019 and the machine works well. It's just that when I run GarageBand, the Mac gets hot after 2 hours of work. Understand that programs that require a lot of performance from the processor mean that the machine must work in high gear.
The battery is also drained at that time. Although the battery status shows normal, I think it discharges quickly?

I have read on various forums that this specific model has had problems with getting hot quickly. I use a sound card that I connect guitar and midi keyboard, into the machine.

MacBook pro
16 inch
2,3 GHz Intel fore i9
Intel UHD Graphics 630
15336 MB
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
mac OS ventura 13.0.1

So my question is whether you have to expect the machine to be very hot after a session of work, at the same time the battery is drained flat (start at 100 %) The fan turns on but the machine remains warm. very warm …(Sorry for my bad english )

Anywhone?
I have had no experience with the MacBook Pro but I do have a pair of 2018 Mac minis, six 4.6 GHz i7 cores. Those intel processors use a great deal of power to the extent that when in full use, I have had to use packs of frozen peas wrapped in towels to put on top of the Mac mini. Even when running on idle, the chassis always feels warm to the touch. That’s in contrast with my Mac Studio Max, which never fails to make me think that it had shut down whenever I touch its case. It always feels cooler than room temperature. So to answer your question, yes, you can expect your Mac to remain from warm to hot on a normal basis.

When doing heavy work, I recommend keeping your Mac connected to power. Don’t expect the battery to keep up with the processor for extended lengths of time.

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro of the same year but it never does any significant work other than company email so never gets warm. I can echo what Tony said about my 6 core i7 Mini as well (2020): it hits 100c sometimes and normally idles around 40, which to me is warm but I’ve had full size systems idle at ~40c without harm. I have my mini mounted under my desk vertically and “upside down” in that the air intake(?) is facing out and not again the mount. It’s been cooler this way. I don’t do music or video editing though so the work it does is probably not as intense (VMs, photos, gaming).

Reaction score
I have had no experience with the MacBook Pro but I do have a pair of 2018 Mac minis, six 4.6 GHz i7 cores. Those intel processors use a great deal of power to the extent that when in full use, I have had to use packs of frozen peas wrapped in towels to put on top of the Mac mini. Even when running on idle, the chassis always feels warm to the touch. That’s in contrast with my Mac Studio Max, which never fails to make me think that it had shut down whenever I touch its case. It always feels cooler than room temperature. So to answer your question, yes, you can expect your Mac to remain from warm to hot on a normal basis.

When doing heavy work, I recommend keeping your Mac connected to power. Don’t expect the battery to keep up with the processor for extended lengths of time.
Thanks for reply. I understand that I have to expect the temperature to rise during heavier tasks. Maybe a bit of the solution is to buy a laptop stand with a fan that connects to USB? See the link. Otherwise, the battery will probably have to be replaced in the long run.
Thanks for reply. I understand that I have to expect the temperature to rise during heavier tasks. Maybe a bit of the solution is to buy a laptop stand with a fan that connects to USB? See the link. Otherwise, the battery will probably have to be replaced in the long run. https://www.biltema.no/kontor-teknikk/datatilbehor/datakabler/usb-kabler/laptopstotte-2000040480

Ask a Question