MacBook Pro 15'' 2019 won't charge after Sonoma Update

Reaction score
Hey,

about a week ago I installed Sonoma on my MacBook Pro from 2019. Install went smooth. Today, I installed 14.2

However, right after the Install, my MacBook won't "stop working" when I close it. It will drain the Battery if not connected and it will get pretty warm.

I tried restarting it and reseting the SMC. However, that didn't solve the error. Even more, now my MacBook wont charge while connected to the (original) power source. It won't discharge, but the battery level stays the same.

When I shut down my Mac it will charge up pretty fast so I think the Power Adapter is not the problem. On Systeminformation it even says that it is connected to a 87 Watt Apple Charger.

Now these two issues together mean, that I have to shutdown my mac whenever I'm traveling and also plug in the power adapter in the evening, so that I get back up to 100% charge.

So far, I've tried
  • Reseting the SMC
  • Reseting the NVRAM
  • Boot in Safemode
  • Turn off all Battery Health Features
Any tipps what I can try to fix this Issue? Could reinstalling MacOS work?

Last edited:
Reaction score
HI there and welcome to the forum.

Did this start after the install of Sonoma, or just after you installed the 14.2 update?

Do you by any chance have any power management software installed? If so, you may need to uninstall them and then reboot.

Reaction score
HI there and welcome to the forum.

Did this start after the install of Sonoma, or just after you installed the 14.2 update?

Do you by any chance have any power management software installed? If so, you may need to uninstall them and then reboot.
Hey,

it startet after the Sonoma Update. I did the 14.2 update to see if it gets fixed, but nothing changed.

Afaik, there is no power management software installed, but I will double check again.

Reaction score
My M1 MBA has some charging issues after the 14.4.1 update, not unlike earlier issues before it was fixed. One workaround is that I pull the charger out and then re-insert it at least once. It will then charge. Honestly, I thought Apple had fixed this problem once!

Reaction score
Hey,

about a week ago I installed Sonoma on my MacBook Pro from 2019. Install went smooth. Today, I installed 14.2

However, right after the Install, my MacBook won't "stop working" when I close it. It will drain the Battery if not connected and it will get pretty warm.

I tried restarting it and reseting the SMC. However, that didn't solve the error. Even more, now my MacBook wont charge while connected to the (original) power source. It won't discharge, but the battery level stays the same.

When I shut down my Mac it will charge up pretty fast so I think the Power Adapter is not the problem. On Systeminformation it even says that it is connected to a 87 Watt Apple Charger.

Now these two issues together mean, that I have to shutdown my mac whenever I'm traveling and also plug in the power adapter in the evening, so that I get back up to 100% charge.

So far, I've tried
  • Reseting the SMC
  • Reseting the NVRAM
  • Boot in Safemode
  • Turn off all Battery Health Features
Any tipps what I can try to fix this Issue? Could reinstalling MacOS work?
First thing I would try is to install the latest version of Sonoma, (14.4.1 (23E224)). It was released mainly to address multiple problems that became evident with version 14.4. Also, keep in mind that after resetting NVRAM, you will need to reenable TRIM to keep your SSD healthy.

Ask a Question