MacBook Intermittent Internet Connection

Reaction score
I am having internet stability issues with my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) running Big Sur 11.5.2. The internet connection is intermittent to the point that I can't consistently access video conference meetings (e.g. zoom, webex, etc), I often get booted from video meetings due to poor connection, or I'm unable to load pages. The symptoms seem to speak to internet stability issues, but can't confirm for sure. A few points of note and things I've tried (unsuccessfully):

-The issue occurs regardless of whether I'm on WIFI or hardwired via ethernet cable (FYR, router is within 10 feet of my laptop with a strong signal)
-The issue is limited to only this device on the network
-My connection had been working fine for 2+ years until recently (2-3 months ago)
-My ISP is Verizon FIOS and I'm using their G3100 modem/router
-I just replaced the router, but Verizon said this is likely an issue with my laptop since the replacement still didn't fix the problem
-Resetting the router temporarily fixes the issue (as does Verizon's reset via their automated phone tech support)
-This may be unrelated, but when I run an internet speed test the download speeds are adequate but the test often fails during the 'upload' portion.
-The problem remains when I turn off the Firewall and I don't have any antivirus software are other software (that I'm aware of) that may be causing issues.
-I have tried entering a manual IP address thinking there may have been a conflict with the assigned address.

I'm at a loss and would appreciate any feedback or solutions. Let me know if you need any other information.

Reaction score
Hi,

Resetting the router temporarily fixes the issue (as does Verizon's reset via their automated phone tech support)
This does seem to point to an ISP issue.
One question do you get the same results if you go through a VPN?

Reaction score
I haven't tried going through a VPN (and I'm not entirely sure if I know how to). Any guidance on how I can easily test this?

Reaction score
Hi,

Just choose a VPN, there are many. set up your account and choose rerouting country. My personal choice and the one I use is Protonmails VPN.

Once you have it set up choose the rerouting country, I am out of the UK / Switzerland but go thought the USA ,manily because this one is free;)

https://protonvpn.com/fr/

Reaction score
I've tested the VPN and it appears to mostly solve the problem. I don't, however, see this as a long term fix since a handful of websites I need to access regularly cannot be accessed via the VPN.

Reaction score
Hi jt1234,

I've tested the VPN and it appears to mostly solve the problem.
Sorry to say but my thoughts re your ISP look more true, as you say using the internet behind a VPN seems to mostly work.

Reaction score
I'm rehashing this topic after a few recent updates:

-I got a new computer (Macbook Pro, 16in, 2021) back in April and I'm having the exact same internet stability issue
-The VPN resolves the issue and allows for a more stable internet connection
-Verizon (ISP) doesn't see any issues on there end and they've exhausted everything they can think of trying

Any other thoughts?

Thank you very much for all of your help.

Ask a Question