Macbook Hard Reset

Reaction score
I was given an old MacBook 2006 (I think) I have had the screen replaced (as broken) and upgraded the memory to 2 GB. Safari will not work and there are a load of bits on there that I do not want. I want to do a factory reset but have no disk. It is running Mac OS X 10.4.11. 1.83 GHz Intel core duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I have tried to re-install Safari but each time I am told it will not work with my version of OS X.
I attempted to do a reset followed the instruction on the video on youtube and although I now have my details on the MacBook it still has the old programs on it & Safari still won't work. I tried installing Firefox but again I have the wrong version of OS X. PLease can someone put me out of my misery.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help. The main reason I was thinking of doing a hard restore was that Safari & the version of Firefox installed are so slow. When I start Safari the icon bounces a few times and I get the menu across the top but the icon then stops bouncing and no window opens. When I try to come out I am told that I am closing it prematurely.

But when I use Firefox going from webpage to webpage its worse than dial up but I am told the ping rate is 10ms and the connection speed and wirelessly it is 14mb and hard wired so to speak I get the full 76mb. I assume there is some setting that I need to change but have no idea where or how.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You could try hard resetting your router … turn it off at the power for 30 seconds then turn it back on …

Also try repairing Permissions using Disc Utility which is in your Utilities folder … Applications ~> Utilities ~> Disc Utility.

Select your HD in the left pane … Not the first entry, the one below which will be indented, that's your formatted partition.

Also, create another user account in System Preferences & test that out for comparison if the above steps down't yield positive results.

Ask a Question