SOLVED Macbook 'forgetting' router password

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a macbook pro (c. 2015) running Catalina OS.

Fairly recently (couple of months) my mac book has started to occasionally 'forget' my router password, although the setting to automatically join this network has not been changed. The frequency of this happening seems to be increasing. I am not aware of any change of use pattern or other changes that might have caused this.
Is this a known issue and is there a fix?

Many thanks.

Chris

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

The password for your network is stored in your keychain. By deleting the entry, and then reconnecting to your network should resolve this.

First thing that you want to do is disconnect from WiFi.

Then, open up Keychain Access which is in your Applications/Utilities folder.

On the left side you will see multiple keychains. You want to search (Search is on top right of the window) for your WiFi network name in both, the login, and local items keychains, and delete them. You can delete them by either right clicking on the entry and select Delete..., or highlight the entry and hit the delete key.

Once all entries for your WiFi network are deleted, reconnect to the network, and it should stay connected.

Ask a Question