MacBook dead, won't turn on

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've got a big issue with my MacBook: when I try to press the power button it won't turn on. It is completely dead. The 'strange' thing is that the battery seems to be always charged and the led which is positioned in the MagSafe connector is green (please check out the images). I've read several tutorials and I've followed the points outlined here. In particular I've tryed to;

1. unplug and plug the battery
  2. different outlets
  3. reset SMC (unplug battery and MagSafe adapter and press the power button for 5 sec)
  4. try individually each RAM bank and eventually switch their position

everything without luck. I was about to disassembly it but, even if I do that then I wouldn't know how to proceed. Do you have any clue on what could be the problem? Is there any suggestion that you could give me on how to proceed? May it be the power button which is somehow damaged? Is there anything else I should check out to solve the problem? Thank you very much!

MagSafe connector image
battery image

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You did all the correct steps to troubleshoot the issue. If you get no response whatsoever from pressing the power button - i.e. fans, video, boot chime, then there are two basic possibilities:

1. The power button itself is not working. Getting the top case replaced would solve that.
2. The MLB is fried.

-Has anything ever been spilled on it?
-Has it ever been dropped?
-Is it under AppleCare still?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thank you very much for your reply! No it has not been affected by water or hit. Unfortunately it is not still under AppleCare. Is there a way to check out which of the two possibilities is the right one? Suppose I open the top case: how can I check out that the power button is or is not ok? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem.

I wouldn't advise opening the Macbook yourself. There isn't any way of testing the power button other than replacing the entire top case with a new one. My guess is the MLB.

As long as there is no physical damage to the unit, Apple has a flat-rate repair when MacBooks are past AppleCare coverage. You could always get it checked out at your nearest Genius Bar.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory, at the end I will bring my macbook to a Genius Bar and check out what they say. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Just wondering what the outcome of this issue was? I am having a similar problem and posted about it yesterday.

Reaction score
Take it to a qualified Apple tech... I suspect they will be able to fix it for their minimum fee... (the cost of doing it yourself and getting it wrong is a fried logic board!)

Ask a Question