MacBook 10.5.8 should I replace or fix?

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help me? I currently have a 2007 MacBook that has a broken screen. I have spoken to Apple who were very helpful and advised me that it would cost £200 to fix plus I’d have to pay £50 insurance for it to be posted to wherever to fix, although it would be difficult to get the parts as 2007 is considered ‘vintage’.

I told him that I just needed it for photoshop which I already have, Microsoft office and the internet. He said that as long as I don’t update it (it’s currently Snow Leopard), it could last for 10 years more. I called the number he gave me, who didn’t have that part but gave me another number, which I have yet to call.

I’ve since thought about it that in two years time would it be even more difficult to get parts for a 2007 model? So my questions are:

1. Is it worth fixing, I also will need in the not too distant future to run a website from it – there would I have to update from Snow Leopard to do this?

2. Would it be worth getting an ipad air 2 – either 16 or 64GB or an ipad. I don’t know anything about iPads so would I be able to use Photoshop on it. I design using Photoshop and send it outside to digitally print. Therefore if it’s an Android version of Photoshop would it change the file? It’s very important that it wouldn’t do that!! Again I’d also be using it to run my website from and also Microsoft Office, so would that be possible?

3. If you don’t think it’s worth fixing my MacBook and don’t think an iPad or iPad Air 2 is appropriate could you suggest a cheaper laptop that a Mac? Costing around £300 - £350 that would be best for my needs?

Many thanks and excuse my ignorance!

Eleanor

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It will become even more difficult to find parts for that particular model, especially since it is vintage. If you wanted to continue to use it for now, you could either get the display replaced, or purchase an external monitor and use it as a desktop instead of a portable. It is really your call as to what you want to do.

If you want to use it to run a website from, it would probably be better in the long run to simply purchase a new Mac, as it would be much better to use as a web server. Do you mean design a website, or actually use it as a web server to host the website from?

I don't think an iPad would be a good replacement for a Mac for use with Photoshop and the web services you are describing. They are good as a complimentary device, but not to use as your main design equipment.

To stay in that price range, you could be looking at used Macs. You may be able to find an older, used Mac at a Mac reseller in your area.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask if you have additional questions or concerns,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It will become even more difficult to find parts for that particular model, especially since it is vintage. If you wanted to continue to use it for now, you could either get the display replaced, or purchase an external monitor and use it as a desktop instead of a portable. It is really your call as to what you want to do.

If you want to use it to run a website from, it would probably be better in the long run to simply purchase a new Mac, as it would be much better to use as a web server. Do you mean design a website, or actually use it as a web server to host the website from?

I don't think an iPad would be a good replacement for a Mac for use with Photoshop and the web services you are describing. They are good as a complimentary device, but not to use as your main design equipment.

To stay in that price range, you could be looking at used Macs. You may be able to find an older, used Mac at a Mac reseller in your area.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask if you have additional questions or concerns,

C
Thanks so much for replying , and such sound advice.
I actually need to run the website from it, using it as the server.
I'm sorry I'm quite naive about computers!
you're right that a MacBook is the right way to go. So a huge thank you for enlightening me.
Best wishes
Eleanor

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask away!

C

Ask a Question