Mac reporting errors running apps and not shutting down

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Mac running 10.5.2 with a 2GHz intel processor and 2Gb of ram. When I've booted it up today it opens the OS fine. I have skype set to run at log on and as that loads I get an error message saying skype quit unexpectedly. The icons at the top right showing wifi signal, space etc keep dissapearing the reappearing seconds late. If I choose the shut down option I get the shut down box but it doesn't count down from the 1 minute then the screen fades blue, the dock and bar across the top disappear. The OS opens back if as if my mac has just booted up. I have put my upgrade disk in for Lepoard, as soon as I launch the installer I get a message telling me it has quit unexpectedly.

Any one have any suggestions on what I should do to? I'm thinking it might be worth re installing mac OS from scratch but as this is my first mac and i've never done that before I'm not sure whats involved.

Thanks

Andy

Ask a Question